Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
185 user(s) are online (119 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 185

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

'51 Valve Clatter Revisited
Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Hi All,

This weekend I decided to follow the FSM for a change and test the oil pressure in my '51 200 Deluxe with the "mystery" 288 engine. I took a known good after market mechanical oil gage out of my '70 Ford F-250 (Ford being another auto maker that has had difficulty with V8 oil pumps) and hooked it up to the Packard. Oil Pressure is a minimum 30psi for a low and a maximum 42psi at 60mph. I removed the small pipes that go from the oil filter to the "T" and the one from the "T" to midway up the block and blew compressed air though both pipes and the "T". The little knock that I heard briefly after a cold start has now disappeared, but the clatter is basically unchanged. At least I know that the oil pump is healthy.

Later this week I think I'll pull the lifters and clean them myself to see if that helps.

I have a spare engine with mechanical lifters and a spare with hydraulics. I presume you can put mechanical lifters in an hydraulic engine but not the other way around?

I bought some Muriatic Acid over the weekend as well and will see if I can't raise some engine numbers before I tear into the engine. If putting hydraulic lifters in an engine designed for mechanical lifters is a non-starter; I wonder if that is the case with mine. The people I bought the car from said it has always had clatter since they bought it.

Wouldn't it be nice if some former owner "sinned" and that would be the end of my problems?

Posted on: 2011/12/5 17:33
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan (parts ?)
1951 Patrician Touring Sedan
1955 Patrician Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Re: '51 Valve Clatter Revisited
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
There is a different camshaft and specs show both a slight duration & lift difference. While obviously not the proper way, I can say that a friend and I changed his 53 from hydraulic to solid and left the cam alone. He put many miles on after the switch and the car ran just fine with no evidence of any issues.

Posted on: 2011/12/5 17:49
Howard
 Top  Print   

Re: '51 Valve Clatter Revisited
Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Thank you Howard -
That's good to know and I'll keep that as an option.

Posted on: 2011/12/5 18:45
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan (parts ?)
1951 Patrician Touring Sedan
1955 Patrician Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved