Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
267 user(s) are online (135 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 266

JWL, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: '51 Delco-Remy Starter Rebuild
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If you can hear the solenoid click or try and have ruled out the carb switch as not the problem then it is probable the contacts inside the solenoid have burned and pitted & do not make contact intermittently.

The Echlin solenoid repair kit for the V8s have repair instructions and if O_D or someone else can provide an old kit number to possibly cross maybe one is available. As an example O_D supplied the information that STK2 was the kit for 55-6. Napa shows about a dozen different solenoid repair kits. Perhaps one of those would fit yours.

Sometimes the solenoid can be disassembled and the contacts rotated to a fresh spot if no kits are available.

Posted on: 2011/12/19 16:49
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
First I want to thank BigKev for patiently nursing through a lost Password crisis - which is the reason I can now post the next part - which is:
I want to thank Howard, JW and Packard V8 for all the help and advise with my '51 starter problems.
I think what started my starter down the road to ruin is that I sometimes didn't let the starter come to a stop before hitting it with another re-start pass. It says something about that in the Factory Literature but I read it too late.
So my starter is working great - I wish I could say the same for the new solenoid I bought from NAPA. It has started sticking from time to time just like the old one did. I'm sure it's the solenoid as the last time it stuck I gave a "rap" with a handy wrench and the starter immediately stopped.
I may take my old solenoid back to my rebuilder and let him have a go at that - or I might try it myself.

Posted on: 2011/12/19 17:26
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan (parts ?)
1951 Patrician Touring Sedan
1955 Patrician Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Unless it is underrated for the current, I haven't seen many of those type solenoids give much trouble. Since it was an issue on the original, is there any chance it is actually the carb switch sticking and the rap on the solenoid is vibrating things enough to drop that out?

Posted on: 2011/12/19 18:57
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
I didn't mention this part before and I may be misreading the wiring diagram but if it was the starter switch on the carb wouldn't turning the key to "off" shut off the current to the switch?

How's that for a long sentence?

Posted on: 2011/12/19 19:11
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If it's wired the way it's supposed to be, yes. So if you can't crank the engine without having the key on that eliminates the switch and it's back to solenoid.

Posted on: 2011/12/19 19:16
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
That's sort of what I was thinking, but it's nice to have it confirmed by someone who know's these cars far better than I. Thanks to you and everyone I'm learning!

Thanks again,Howard.

Posted on: 2011/12/19 19:41
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Aaron Wood
See User information
I want to thank everyone too. Took apart solenoid, gave it a good cleaning (no solvents), sanded the copper bits and put it all back. Hardest part was getting that darn top bolt started!!

Started just fine! Two projects done. Thanks for great forum!
Aaron

Posted on: 2011/12/20 19:24
Aaron - 1951 Packard 2472 300 Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved