Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
191 user(s) are online (116 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 191

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

power steerig installation
Home away from home
Home away from home

55clipper
See User information
I want to install power steering in my 55 Panama. Is the steering pump the same in the Monroe system and the Bendix system. The best info I can find makes me believe the Monroe was used in the 55 Panama and not the Bendix. I also noticed the the steering gear box has a different part number comparing standard to power steering. The number of turns, lock to lock is different. Has anyone done this conversion?

Posted on: 2012/1/16 23:15
 Top  Print   

Re: power steerig installation
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The pumps are different. Monroe pumps have a higher output pressure.

There have been a few conversions and while the steering ratio is slightly different and slower on manual cars, I don't believe it was found to be a problem when used with power. Changing the box on a 55 is much more difficult than on the 56 and at least one person felt it was not worth the trouble.

Best is to get a complete power assist assy from a parts car to ensure you have all the correct brackets and linkage. I believe most prefer the Monroe for it's simplicity and personally, I think it has a better feel. It was used a lot more in 56 & was even on some seniors.

Attach file:

jpg  (27.70 KB)
209_4f14f868482ea.jpg 358X271 px

Posted on: 2012/1/16 23:26
Howard
 Top  Print   

Re: power steerig installation
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
I believe the Monroe-equipped cars have a restriction orifice installed (15.844) and that orifice raises the pressure to the requirement for the Monroe cylinder. The pumps are identical otherwise. I had a Monroe system on my first 400 and liked it very much. It had a positive feel. The Bendix unit unit has too many hoses and moving parts. The Monroe system gets rid of the idler lever/bushing and the attendant slop. I converted my 400 over using the pump and cylinder from my parts car which had a Monroe system. I converted the Caribbean to Monroe using a NOS cylinder and used parts from Mike D. I just like the feel better than the Bendix.
I believe the Monroe system was used on a lot of senior cars in 56. You can find Bendix and Monroe systems on both Jr. and Sr. cars in the last year.

Posted on: 2012/1/17 1:10
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved