Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
223 user(s) are online (120 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 223

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

1930 733 tie rods, need replacements
Home away from home
Home away from home

tfee
See User information
I've finally gotten around to the steering on my car and it looks like the ball joints in my tie rods are shot. The balls are supposed to be round and measure 1 1/8" across but mine are .020 undersize and shaped more like eggs. They were packed with dirt instead of oil and no amount of adjustment will take out the slop. Both the cross bar and the drag link balls are shot so I need (4)balls and their corresponding bearing cups. The usual parts suppliers have come up empty handed. Do any of you have an extra set of these or a decent steering set-up you could spare?
Let me know
Thanks
Todd

Posted on: 2012/1/17 14:27
 Top  Print   

Re: 1930 733 tie rods, need replacements
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Dear tfee:

You could try the Packard museum in Dayton Ohio. They have front axles and stuff sitting outside.

Usually I didn't find them very productive about inquiries, but you might get lucky.

Posted on: 2012/1/17 18:09
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

32model901
See User information
tfee,

If you can't find another decent set, one option that's been done on similar era front ends is to machine off the old ones, bore a pilot hole and weld in new ones.

For example:

These are 1" dia. and you can get the cups for them.

http://macsautoparts.com/model-a-ford-drag-link-tie-rod-ball-stud-weld-in-replacement-type-a3311w/camid/MDA/cp/JS0R3CHL1066092/

Regards,

Dave

Posted on: 2012/1/17 19:57
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

32model901
See User information

Attach file:

pdf Size: 995.16 KB; Hits: 62

Posted on: 2012/1/17 20:19
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

32model901
See User information

Posted on: 2012/1/17 20:23
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

tfee
See User information
901, I appreciate your posts but I don't want to alter the Bijur oiling system that's installed on the car. If I can't find originals in good shape I'm going to recreate the studs with all their oil holes included. Unfortunately I can't modify existing studs because they are hardened steel and can't be drilled economically. I drew up the old ones and sent them out for quote earlier this week. The results are in:

733 Build Thread

Still hunting for originals before I take that leap.
Todd

Posted on: 2012/1/19 17:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

32model901
See User information
tfee,

If you can't get original parts, replacement studs can be drilled so you still have the oil passages.

I've used solid carbide to drill case and thru hardened 48 - 52 Rockwell C steel without a problem.

A tool and die shop could use a hole popper and EDM these. A local shop charges me $75 / hr. for this work.

Nice job on you prints, if you are still looking for quotes you may want to try Noujaim Tool Company.

http://noujaimtools.com/

Regards,

Dave

Posted on: 2012/1/20 20:03
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

tfee
See User information
Thanks Dave, I'll keep that in mind.

Posted on: 2012/1/23 10:20
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I guess the tie rod end picture I posted wasn't a match?

Posted on: 2012/1/23 11:54
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

tfee
See User information
No match but I thank you for checking. I posted a pic of the 733 tie rod on the build blog for comparison.

I'm going to move ahead with remanufacturing these from scratch. Quoted price is $538 for a single set of (4)or $400 a set if I can find another buyer so let me know if you know anyone who needs these.
Thanks
Todd
tfee16811 @ gmail.com

Posted on: 2012/1/23 13:34
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved