Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
224 user(s) are online (141 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 224

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Door handles droop, 37, 120
Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
For what it's worth, here are before and after photos of 1940 convertible latches, with a broken bobby pin and a new one from John Ulrich. I also got the snail springs, but found them impossible to install. None of mine were broken. I was led to believe that these spring updates would correct droopy door handles on my car, but they did not.

The slot the handle shaft goes into is so worn, the handle falls forward. Bulking up and regrinding the shafts, wow, it you got that slightly off either way, start over. Heating up the shaft is the solution I've heard offered, but again, it's and eyeball trial and error (but less work that bulking/grinding) to correct.

I think a new method needs to be developed that's adjustable as time goes on.
Perhaps some kind of insert into the latch to hold the shaft in selectable positions held by a set screw.

Attach file:

jpg  (41.22 KB)
1067_4f3ef3fea94d3.jpg 800X600 px

jpg  (33.64 KB)
1067_4f3ef4696a52e.jpg 480X640 px

Posted on: 2012/2/17 19:47
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved