Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
232 user(s) are online (158 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 229

Don B, bkazmer, Packardbarry, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: Connecting Rod Alignment?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Thomas Wilcox
See User information
There is a Packard Service manual for the 6th, 7th and 8th series. Red cover. Not always useful, particularly when the instructions tell you to check with your supervisor!

But, still an important book to have around, even without the supervisor.

Posted on: 2008/4/6 18:33
--
Thomas Wilcox
34 Roadster, [url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/r
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Also there is some basic engine information in the 7th Series Owner's Manual as well as the 7th Series Part List. Both of which are in the article area.

Posted on: 2008/4/6 18:42
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Scott726
See User information
Guys,

Thanks for all the feedback, here are a few updates

-Yes I have the red covered manual, it's mostly worthless. It does show a rod alignment jig that checks the piston, wrist pin and connecting rod as an assembly, with no more details.
-My connecting rods are all shimmed, as if the babbitt was machined too tight and somebody hand cut crude .001 or .0015 brass shims to open it up a bit. It's still too tight if I remove them, around .001".0015" by plasti gage. None of my mains have been shimmed but then I haven't checked them all.
-I am certain Dave is correct in that the ultimate front to back location of the rod is controlled by the side faces of the connecting rod babbitt.
-I haven't checked to see if there are different odd and even rods. Oddly, the odd rod is in the right place...
-I don't know who made the pistons but I have posted their photo here, maybe somebody can tell me as they are like most other parts, unmarked.
-#2 is the only piston/rod assembly I have removed. I can tell you that it's wrist pin is snug, both in the piston and in the bushing, it takes a little force to push it and it won't slide out on it's own. This engine was running with 40+ psi of oil pressure and none of the bearings looked bad, even the remainder of the cap that failed looked good.

The knock was only associated with the clutch. When the engine was cold it would knock the first time you pushed in the clutch. It would knock at a diminished volume after you let up on the clutch and would continue to do so until the engine warmed up. It wouldn't knock again until the engine was stone cold and yes, I have looked at the clutch, pressure plate and throw out bearing. I believe the knock was in the area of #4 or #5 piston.

This inside of this engine is tight, and clean. I really don't want to take it further apart than I have to. I'm just looking for a little knowledge on the rod alignment issue. I would prefer to put if back together, and save my pennies for a major rebuild if I can safely drive it for a season or two.

Thanks again,

Scott

PS: PackardV8, if you PM me your E-mail address, I'll send you a digital recording of the knock...

Attach file:

jpg  (17.23 KB)
387_47f96eece24d3.jpg 400X600 px

jpg  (18.89 KB)
387_47f96efc303fa.jpg 400X600 px

Posted on: 2008/4/6 19:46
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Scott726
See User information
Update to the Update,

Dave (Owen Dyneto) is correct, using the parts listing from this magnificent web site I found that there are two types of connecting rods used for cylinders #1-3-5-7 and #2-4-6-8. I would think the difference is the side clearances; how much babbitt is on each side face with the basic steel rods being identical. I looked at my bottom end and I don't see the pattern. Some of my rods are evenly centered in the babbitt and some have more babbitt on the back face. This babbitt spacing isn't consistent with even or odd numbered rods. I will have look at which rod (tops) aren't centered in the bushing and see if there is a correlation with the odd even rod theme...

Thanks Dave!

Attach file:

jpg  (30.90 KB)
387_47f9868f08270.jpg 533X800 px

jpg  (33.59 KB)
387_47f986a339389.jpg 533X800 px

Posted on: 2008/4/6 21:27
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
It's a dull day in Packardville when you don't learn something new -- I was completely unaware of shop manuals for these earlier years, here I've done with just the service letters for my 34 Eight all these years. How about some more info on it, like who has reprints, or who might scan and put up on this site?

Seems I'm been right about 50% of the time lately; at the risk of dropping below that, let me comment that I've diassembled/assembled lots of babbitt bearing Packard eights and never seen a bearing shim, and w/o looking to confirm I don't believe they are noted in the parts books. Seen them often in GM cars though, like Buicks.

Piston looks to me like an Egge, though they have been trash-mouthed from time to time, my own experience with them has been quite satisfactory.

Posted on: 2008/4/6 22:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Thomas Wilcox
See User information
Dave,

I am not sure who is doing the reproducing of these manuals. I will check when I get back out to the garage. There is also a manual for the 11th and 12th series (plus 120). It has a green and white cover. I saw one on ebay (a reproduction) not too long ago.

Posted on: 2008/4/7 1:34
--
Thomas Wilcox
34 Roadster, [url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/r
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Scott726
See User information
Dave, my manual was reprinted by SMALL WORLD PRESS, a cursory Google of that name was didn't turn anything up. Maybe Kev could chime in with a ruling on the legality of scanning a reprint for post. The photos in my copy wouldn't scan very well, they are already low grade but the text would be OK.

I think the shims in my engine were installed because somebody mis-judged the clearance needed for good oil flow and they just didn't want to re-machine the rods... They are crude looking. My 30' Chevrolet had factory shims installed, they were much nicer. Overall though, I'll take the Packard

Scott

Posted on: 2008/4/7 6:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tom (Packin31)
See User information
Scott,

I have some brand new pistons sitting in a box in the garage from Egge. The one you have shown above sure looks identical to mine.

When I disassemble my engine there where no shims on the rod caps. But I can't say if shims are required or not because my engine had been gone through at one time in its life. Some of the rods from my car have been replaced also at one point also. I say that because some of the numbers stamped on them don't match the cylinder it came out. Who ever reassembled it use dots instead.

I don't recall the rod alignment on my pistons but I will most defiantly watch for it now when I reassemble it.

Good luck with yours

Posted on: 2008/4/7 7:06
Tom
1931 833 468 Coupe
Packard Registry|1931 Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
To prevent copyright issues, we can only put scans of original version here online, unless we have permission from whomever is reproducing that particular piece.

Posted on: 2008/4/7 14:03
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Look at the pistons to see which side of the engine the "T" slot is facing. The manual PROBABLY says toward the left side (drivers side). Are there any markings on the top of the pistons??? Are ALL of the pistons "T" slotted???

Does the engine have a main bearing between EVERY cylinder????? or is it a 5 main crank??? Which main bearing takes the end play thrust????

Posted on: 2008/4/7 23:05
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved