Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
127 user(s) are online (91 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 125

humanpotatohybrid, Owen_Dyneto, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Closeness of 1942--47 senior Clipper tailpipe to gastank
Home away from home
Home away from home

su8overdrive
See User information
Coupla longtime Packard friends who've owned, worked on these cars say the tailpipe is close, really close, to the side of the gastank. But since neither has access to a car like mine, can't check and tell me how close. So, any fellow 1942-47 160/180/Super/Custom Super Clipper on the standard 127" wheelbase (because limos might be different) owners, how much clearance on yours? An eighth of an inch, or ?

A Chevron engineer told us that gasoline lasts, stays fresh longest so long as it isn't exposed to heat above 80 degrees. Such is the case in my car's garage. Obviously, on a warm summer day, it gets warmer over the road. Packard wasn't building cars for occasional collector/hobbyist pleasure jaunts 65 years in the future.

Wondering if it's worth the bother to wrap that 12 or so inch section of tailpipe adjacent the gastank with heat insulation tape, or is that overkill?

Car's run fine all these years, never, ever vapor locked, nada. But curious if there's any according to Hoyle on this wee clearance.

Thanks.

Posted on: 2012/3/7 4:43
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved