Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
156 user(s) are online (79 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 154

TxGoat, pmhowe, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Radiator sylphon gasket material
Home away from home
Home away from home

tbirdman
See User information
My sylphon themostatic ontrol failed on by 32. I bought a replacement from Bill Hirsch. By the way, you need to drill holes for a 32 as the existing holes don't line up plus you need to trim the flange as it is too large. I installed it and it leaked slightly. I tried using gasket material 1/32 and 3/16" thick. I was using the ruber/fiber gasket material. I do have some roughless on the mating surfaces of the radiator.

I was thinking of using RTV gasket maker. Is there a better solution? If I use the RTV should I also use the gasket material.

Posted on: 2012/3/11 19:30
 Top  Print   

Re: Radiator sylphon gasket material
Home away from home
Home away from home

32model901
See User information
Tbirdman,

I had a similar problem getting a good seal on the '32 thermostat. The tapped screw holes in the flange that is on the side of the radiator tank are very close to the edge of the hole that goes into the top tank. I found I was getting leakage thru the threads of the screws on the bottom side.

I ended up using a thin paper gasket on both sides of the slyphon unit. One between the slyphon and mounting flange on the radiator tank, and one between the slyphon and the cast housing that has the lever that goes to the linkage operating the radiator shutters.

The paper gasket was .015" thick, standard gasket paper you can get at any NAPA. I used a blue RTV on both sides of the paper gaskets and in the threads of the flange and on the threads of the screws. After I had the cast housing snug against the flange I backed out each screw one at a time, filled the hole with RTV and than put the screw back in, forcing the RTV out the other side of the flange.

Before mounting the slyphon check the flatness of the flange on the radiator and the cast housing. I used a piece of ground stock slightly larger than the flange and a piece of 220 grit paper to take off the high spots on the flange. On the casting I just used a hand file and ran it around the flat mounting surface to do the same.

Regards,

Dave

Posted on: 2012/3/11 20:36
 Top  Print   

Re: Radiator sylphon gasket material
Home away from home
Home away from home

tbirdman
See User information
I first tried the paper gasket on both sides and that didn't work. However I then use the black high temp sealant with the paper gasket. It appeared to work although I was surprise that the paper gaskets were damp.

I took it apart, because when I mounted it, I was one screw off. I was so busy worrying about getting the rtv all ove rthe place, I fail to notice I had mounted it wrong until after it had cured.

I'm just checking before I remount it again hopefully in the right position this time.

Posted on: 2012/3/11 21:31
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved