Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
209 user(s) are online (130 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 209

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Front Splash or Filler
Home away from home
Home away from home

Gary
See User information
Quote:

Ross wrote:
The push on nuts go on the bottom edge of the grill, then you run the screws up through the splasher, then the filler into the grill. This all help to make the grill a lot less delicate.

Ahhh! that makes a lot more sense. All of the bright work on the car had been removed, rechromed and reinstalled before I purchased the car but I don't believe the same individual reassembled it that took it apart. looks like I need to relocate the push on nuts to the grill first and then assemble in sequence from there. Thanks for clarifying Ross! I'll be glad when that annoying rattle is gone.

Posted on: 2012/3/22 13:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Stivers
See User information
I second that with the grill. After I got my 51PackPatty home, there were only 2 bolts holding the grill in place from the top. All the clip nuts that slide onto the grill were gone. It just so happened that all those were available on the 51 200 that I picked up. Once I figured out how all three pieces fit, everything went together as advertised. It's crazy when you pick up a "basket case" and then trying to figure out what goes where. Glad you've got it all figured out.

HotRod

Posted on: 2012/3/22 18:02
It is what it is....
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gary
See User information
Quote:

Ross wrote:
The push on nuts go on the bottom edge of the grill, then you run the screws up through the splasher, then the filler into the grill. This all help to make the grill a lot less delicate.

Before I re-install the radiator, I wanted to finally take care of that annoying rattle that the splash and filler assembly have been causing on my car. first I installed the required speed nuts or u-nuts on the Bottom edge of the grill as per Ross's instructions above. then from underneath the car looking up, Ross states that the bolts run up through the splasher, then the filler and into the grill where the speed nuts are now located. I agree with Ross in that this should be the order of assembly since it appears that the splash has a slight "step down" in the lip where the filler would overlap it. What I can't figure out
is why on my car, it appears that the original pattern of assembly was the opposite whereas the bolts went through the filler, then the splash, and then into the grill. I say this because anyone can clearly see by the markings left on the lip of the splash that the filler was on the bottom in the original order of assembly. I guess I'm wondering if it could have been assembled this way from the factory but then I read something in Service Counseler Volume 27, No.6, page 30 about a filler that was being installed to eleminate rattles bewteen the splasher and the Bumper Guard? Although I'm confused by the photo and the location it was taken, I wonder if this filler could have been added at some point and then reassembled incorrectly.

Regardless, I would certainly very much appreciate it if someone else with a '51 through '54 could please confirm the order of assembly of the two parts so I can put this basket case to rest?

Attach file:

pdf Size: 497.98 KB; Hits: 59

Posted on: 2013/4/7 12:53
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
That just a piece of rubber or fabric that was installed between the bumperette crossbar and the filler panel that attaches to it. Basically used to keep the two pieces from chattering together

Posted on: 2013/4/9 15:41
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved