Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
231 user(s) are online (124 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 230

BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Smokey Joe
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ken Sadler
See User information
As part of my winter programme I had a crack repaired in the exhaust manifold on my 745. My buddy is a metalurgist in Sheffield and he managed to get it welded with nickel rods. Apparently 82 years of "thermal cycling" didn't help to keep a weld on the cast iron from cracking when it cooled. Anyway he's an expert in his field and the end result was a perfect and almost invisible repair even if it did take 4 months!!

I painted it with high-temp enamel from www.frost.co.uk before refitting using POR 15. The picture from their website below shows its good for 1200F (which to us Brits is 650 Centigrade) - more than enought I thought.

Well the Sunday afternoon trip to the fuel station required a stop-and-cool event as clouds of blue smoke were billowing from under the hood!!!

The same day I received a new catlogue in the post from Frost and the new picture of a tin of POR15 shows its only good for 150 degrees C. Seems I should have bought manifold paint!!!

So next weekends job is to scrape the paint off and do it again....

We all make mistakes!

Attach file:

jpg  (19.78 KB)
3518_4f71da862b38c.jpg 400X457 px

Posted on: 2012/3/27 10:26
1930 Deluxe 8 745 Dual Cowl Sport Phaeton
See me in the Registry
 Top  Print   

Re: Smokey Joe
Home away from home
Home away from home

Gene
See User information
Thanks for letting us all know about your experience. Many of us will be doing similar work in the near future and you have saved us many hours of extra work.
good luck, thanks, and well wishes from me in getting it back in shape.

Gene

Posted on: 2012/3/27 10:53
1949 Packard Super 8 Limousine
1939 Buick Special

War doesn't determine who's right; war determines who's left.
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved