Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
231 user(s) are online (117 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 231

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Filled the tank today and had an odd problem.....
Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
Stopped at a newish BP station and gassed up. Had a hell of a time with the filler nozzle. No matter how I held it, it couldn't shut off quick enough. Put in about 12 gallons with roughly 50 shutoffs.

Held it tight, held it loose, ripped up, tipped down: all of which made no measurable difference.

Is this a new "safety" idea or just a bad day at the pumps?

Posted on: 2012/4/7 21:03
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Re: Filled the tank today and had an odd problem.....
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Could have just been a bad one particularly if one of the older style. If it's one of the EPA nozzles with vacuum vapor collection -- those with a big rubber bellows over the spout -- I sometimes have trouble with those even on modern cars if there is any kind of air leak.

Not sure how they work but those used here do like a tight seal. If they leak it cuts off repeatedly or won't even start. Have trouble in my Packard because the fill pipe is low and the nozzles are too big to fit far enough down in the door opening to compress the rubber and provide a seal against the pipe. Maybe there is enough variation in tank position so they work for some and not others.

On mine, I have to use them like filling a gas can by holding the bellows back with one hand which apparently puts it in some manual mode. Squeeze and hold the trigger with the other.

Posted on: 2012/4/7 21:23
Howard
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved