Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
180 user(s) are online (95 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 178

Tobs, TxGoat, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Another Trans question
Home away from home
Home away from home

55 NC Clipper
See User information
Guys, I have one last trans question. I have this swinging L bracket (Center with the bolt holding it on,in the picture). It is loose and swings/rotates around the shaft its on. Is this right? should it be tightned up?

Thanks for the help

Attach file:

jpg  (59.96 KB)
3510_4f8398cd06d11.jpg 960X1280 px

Posted on: 2012/4/9 21:20
 Top  Print   

Re: Another Trans question
Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
This page will give you some guidance.
http://www.ultramaticdynamics.com/improvements.html

Yes it should be tightened up.

Posted on: 2012/4/9 21:39
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
I just tightened that set screw on my 400. There should be a 5/16 lock washer under the nut. Make sure the set screw is down very snug. DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN. That is only a die-casting you're threading into. The "L" piece is lined up properly. I used some loctite BLUE on the set screw threads and also on the upper end of the set screw where the jam nut threads onto. The "L" bracket is to keep the manual valve from being pulled out too far.

Posted on: 2012/4/9 21:39
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
It's the lever stop and should be tight. There is a discussion herehttps://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=97463#forumpost97463 as to the orientation. Randy and I both think the bulletin description is wrong when they said 90 degrees different from 56 and it should be behind the lever as yours is.

If it will not tighten or stay tightened, would suggest carefully looking at the threads in the potmetal lever the setscrew threads into. Stripping of those potmetal threads was very common and should the screw loosen enough, you will not be able to select a gear. If the lever threads have stripped, options are to replace lever or to align it properly and drill a hole for a roll pin thru lever and shaft.

Posted on: 2012/4/9 21:44
Howard
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved