Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
185 user(s) are online (118 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 184

Don Shields, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

3rd Annual Cars for Dystonia & Parkinson's
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Hello All,

I had a particularly nice Sunday doing some Packarding.

I received a call on Friday from a Packard friend saying there was a car show on Sunday. They were bringing three Packards and wanted me to bring the fourth. This could be some record for a non-Packard show.

The Cars for Dystonia and Parkinson's was started by two cousins as a means to raise money for research into these two debilitating diseases. The boys were only 15 or 16 years old when they began this effort. They recounted how they came to start a foundation based on a cousin being afflicted with and treated for Dysonia, and a grandfather who suffered with the affects of Parkinson's. It is nice to see they have continued their charitable efforts.

I thought this would be a good time to dust off the '47 Custom Clipper. It had not been driven in about 10 months and needed to be exercised. I had brought home the battery for it in January and had been charging it periodically. On Saturday I loaded up the battery and some hand tools and headed off to the storage facility to get the Clipper ready for Sunday.

Opening the storage space door was the dust covered Packard. It looked as if it had been there 10 years instead of 10 months. I installed the battery. To start the car I cranked it over for several times for about 5 seconds each time. I do this to pump fuel to the carburetor (no electric fuel pump) and to prime the oil system. I do not like dry start an engine that has been sitting for some time. After turning over the engine I pumped the accelerator pedal and pressed it down to start the engine. The Clipper has the starter activated by the accelerator pedal. It came to life and settled down into a nice fast idle. After it had run for a few minutes I backed it out and proceeded to dust off the exterior.

We went back to the storage facility on Sunday to drive it to the show. The drive went uneventfully. We arrived at the show location and parked. Shortly afterwards the other Packards started to arrive.

There was an especially nice 1938 Eight Club Coupe. It had just gone through a thorough recommissioning which included a restoration quality paint job. It is painted in an authentic 1938 Packard Blue with the rare pearlecent paint.

Next to arrive was the running chassis for a 1930 733. This chassis was first exhibited at Salado. It is a real treat to see and hear this fully restored chassis driving around.

The last Packard to arrive was a 1936 Twelve Coupe Roadster. It was brought in on a flat bed as it had stalled enroute and failed to restart. This car is a long-time resident of Austin, but is rarely shown. It is an absolutely beautiful Packard. It was judged to receive the Classic American award. The good news it that after the show it started right up and seemed to be ready for a 12 cylinder drive home.

There was a good turn out of vehicles being displayed, probably over 100 of all types from rat rods to brand new Fiskers with solar panels built into the roofs.

Here are photos of the Packards. Enjoy

(o[]o)

Attach file:

jpg  (48.67 KB)
565_4f9599c8f3fa3.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (51.84 KB)
565_4f9599df377da.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (51.81 KB)
565_4f9599eead0fa.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (50.31 KB)
565_4f9599ffd294e.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (48.83 KB)
565_4f959a12bb92c.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (51.85 KB)
565_4f959a5f51dfc.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2012/4/23 13:12
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved