Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
231 user(s) are online (121 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 231

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

39 trans onto 327
Just popping in
Just popping in

drrotor
See User information
Hi all-- Brand new member here. I have a friend who has a '53 327 to sell me, as well as a '39 stick trans w/O.D. this is a package that interests me. BUT... he has no bellhousing/flywheel/clutch. Can these parts be easily joined? He does also have a Packard 6-cyl of unknown vintage that does have the bellhousing, etc. Would these parts fit the straight 8? And I don't know what engine used to be in front of his '39 3-speed... if the trans is from a '39 6 or 8 cyl. car, will it work on the 327? Thanks!

Posted on: 2012/5/2 12:23
 Top  Print   

Re: 39 trans onto 327
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Jim
See User information
The short answer is yes. You will need the corresponding pieces to install manual trans for the the family engine your running. Transmissions of that era had small input for junior cars and big input for senior cars, so beware of that. Also, the 39 R-6 is not the known for terribly great service, but if understood and properly serviced and operated will work.

As for 6 & 8 bell / flywheel interchange I will deffer to others here.

Posted on: 2012/5/3 10:46
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
I agree with Jim that the transmission will mate to a 327, however the bellhousing/flywheel/clutch will need to be from a 48 or later 288/327 (not from the unknown vintage 6cyl) - at least different per the parts book. As Jim noted, the 39 transmission is a bit of an odd duck, so before getting yourself all worked up about this, you really need understand the improvements in design and reliability associated with the later O/D transmissions.

Posted on: 2012/5/3 11:05
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

drrotor
See User information
Thanks guys-- Well, what I'm after is a floorshifted OD trans.
So if I go with a 48 and later unit, they were all column shifted, were they not? And a JC Whitney shifter conversion just won't do...
I just talked to Moose Motors in Calif. (packard collector)
707-792-9985, and he said it will all bolt up... so that's one opinion. But he hadn't mentioned any weakness with that trans.
So... if you were wanting to do up this 327/stick shift combo, what parts would you use?

Posted on: 2012/5/3 11:27
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
ALL Packard overdrive transmissions were column shifted. People have adapted the earlier stick tops to them, but it requires torch heating the earlier shifter mechanism, always a risk there.
There is quite a bit of chatter comparing the differences in the R6, R9 and R11 units on this site - do a search - with the net conclusion by most that the R11 really is the best unit, especially for the higher horsepower that the 327 is rated at....stronger O/D gears in the R11.

Posted on: 2012/5/3 11:44
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved