Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
205 user(s) are online (132 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 204

su8overdrive, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Lock cylinder replacement
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Alvin14
See User information
I need to replace the door lock cylinder in my 40. It no longer locks. Probably the tab at the end of the cylinder broke off.
I have the "new" cylinder. I inserted a "jumbo" paper clip into the hole of the cylinder (still in the door handle) as mentioned in various articles in order to remove the old cylinder, but nothing happened. Could not get the old cylinder out.
Would appreciate any ideas/suggestions.
Thanks for all replies.

Posted on: 2012/5/2 16:27
 Top  Print   

Re: Lock cylinder replacement
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
The lock cylinders often become one with their housings. They corrode badly and can be most difficult to remove. Try soaking with a good penetrating oil and see what happens. Be careful with the paint around the lock. You my have to drill it out.

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2012/5/2 16:38
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Re: Lock cylinder replacement
Home away from home
Home away from home

Joel Ray
See User information
The "paper clip" only works if the key is inserted. I would remove the handle from the car and have a locksmith remove it for you. If you miss with your drill you won't be too happy.

Posted on: 2012/5/2 20:23
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved