Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
215 user(s) are online (132 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 212

charlieshot, Packard Don, Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: 1932 4sp syn. Trans.
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
3.31 was a factory optional gearset for Speedsters; it's documented somewhere in the factory literature though I can't quite lay my hands on it at this moment.

yes, when I drove the boattail for George in a parade once, it had the dual transmissions, the second one mounted in reverse. It was just a result of George's "tinkering". Normally you left the 2nd trans in High (direct drive, 1:1)so it had no affect. I imagine George had some fun playing with it, just imagine - 4 gear ratios in reverse, just for starters.

Posted on: 2012/5/16 8:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Just out of curiosity could BOTH transmisions in the boat tail be shifted from INside of the car while driving??

I.e. it had two shift levers that could fully operate all gears in each transmission???

Posted on: 2012/5/16 9:53
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
So lets think about this for a minute. Reverse is a (usualy) a very short ratio. LEts say 3:1 just to have a number to work with.

So if Reverse is engaged in BOTH tranmissions at the SAME time then a 9:1 fORWARD RATIO is output to the rear axle.

One hell of an overdrive!!!

Posted on: 2012/5/16 9:57
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
During the depression of the 1930'sand into WWII many of the very large powerful cars that became salvage were converted into trucks such as wreckers.

So the dual trans may have been a product of that era/trend. Select low in BOTH transmissions at the same time and it becomes a stump puller of stump pullers, logging truck, wrecker or any other low speed heavy duty aplication.

Posted on: 2012/5/16 10:10
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Just out of curiosity could BOTH transmisions in the boat tail be shifted from INside of the car while driving??

Yes.

Posted on: 2012/5/16 10:22
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved