Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
154 user(s) are online (81 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 152

Marty or Marston, Gary Kulp, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »

Re: Add-On-Air Conditioning, 54 Cavalier.
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I am saying that the alternator batt output should be fed directly to the 12 battery, not through any relay. (just like on a regular car setup).

If the under dash switch wants to be eliminated, then that fine. The issue here is the relays them selves.

You need 12v to trigger a 12v relay. 6 volts to trigger a 6volt relay. If you got a high amp 6v relay, I don't see a problem running 12v on the switched side as the contacts should be beefy enough to handle it. Just running 12v to the trigger side is going to fry the trigger circuit.

Perhaps I should just draw this out really quick.

Posted on: 2012/5/15 10:43
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Hope this make more sense. This is without an under dash switch using the ignition to trigger the 12v system on, and also excite the alternator. Not sure what your ground polarity is but as the basic diagram is the same regardless.

Posted on: 2012/5/15 11:05
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Use this one instead. Realized I had my relay pin out rotated 90 degrees.

Attach file:

jpg  (25.09 KB)
1_4fb284d4e319b.jpg 549X696 px

Posted on: 2012/5/15 11:31
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
IIRC alternators are grounded to the engine. Therefore the alternator with a DIRECT wire to + post of 12v battery is hot all of the time. When ign sw is OFF the 12v battery current must be completely disconnected from everything including the alt.

Run alt OUTput wire to #87 terminal on RELAY. What's wrong with that???

Altho u are rite, the output terminal of alt is ALWAYS hot on most production cars.

Posted on: 2012/5/15 16:43
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Keith, go check any car from about 1970 to the present, respectfully you are incorrect.

The battery and the Alternator BATT terminal are wired together, and are not switched. The regulator for alternator controls everything.

Check any aftermarket wiring diagram and you will see the same.

Most run from the battery to the starter BATT lug, and from that same lug to the Alternator, or where ever the common always hot connection junction block is. For reference, here is a system diagram from a Chevy:

Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: 2012/5/15 16:58
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Terminal 1 is the exciter which also acts as the feed for the idiot light. When there is 12v on that, it activates regulator.

Terminal 2 is the voltage sensing terminal and is what the regulator uses to control output based on battery/system voltage.

The Batt terminal is the output. While it is technically hot because it is connected to the battery, but it is not charging unless the regulator says so.

Posted on: 2012/5/15 17:04
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I went out and checked my Samurai alternator and 89 Caprice. Heavy output wire is hot with out starting or turning any switches. BUT, what i have noticed on the Samurai alternator set up that the RELATIVELY SMALL MC battery looses at least 2 volts charge very fast over just 3 or 4 days of nonuse. Down to 9 volts in less than 2 weeks.

The old 6v with generator seemed to hold a charge a long time. My 56 Exec with generator shows no voltage at the gen terminals. only 12v at the external regulator.

The small motysickle battery mite be drawn down real fast if alt is always hot between a week or two of operations. BIG battery not as fast draw down.

I'm not sure. But is there any reason NOT to connect alt output to output side of relay instead of direct to battery post???

Posted on: 2012/5/15 17:05
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Sound to me like the Samurai alternator has the exicter wire always hot, which is keeping the regulator energized, and that is drawing the parasitic load you are seeing. Either that, or there is something else in the car the is bleeding off the voltage. A sweep with a good multimeter should be able to pinpoint the culprit.

Posted on: 2012/5/15 17:09
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I'm not sure, but it seems to me that alternators have a very tiny but constant current draw (maybe in milliamps or something) even when car is just parked and abandoned.

Posted on: 2012/5/15 17:12
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
They shouldn't if the car is wired correctly. Most modern cars have a constant low draw because of things like clocks, radio memory, computer, etc. But that has nothing to do with the alternator.

Also this is why I avoid the 1-wire alternators. Give me a 3-wire one any day. There is a reason that GM has used them for decades.

Posted on: 2012/5/15 17:17
-BigKev

Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved