Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
232 user(s) are online (145 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 231

Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

info needed for 6 volt to 12 volt change
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Gregor
See User information
hello
i would need info wath i must to by changing my 6 volt system to a 12 volt system .
i changed all my light to 12 volt .
i put voltage reducer in my instruments .a changed the altinatore .
but my altinator wath i now of must be connected to the plus pole on the b?ttery . but original 6 volt by my 53 patrician there is minus by the battery connected to the starter .
can any body tel me wath i must do
thanks
gregor

Posted on: 2012/5/10 15:35
1938 chevrolet Sports Coup? 1953 packard patrician 400
 Top  Print   

Re: info needed for 6 volt to 12 volt change
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
No problem switching to negative earth for your new alternator. There was nothing in the stock Packard which was polarity sensitive. Many cars were accidentally changed by a mechanic and sometimes the change was not even noticed -- other than occasionally the generator would not charge with the switched arrangement and had to be corrected.

The only polarity issue now would be if your car had a repair on the radio in the last few years. If a new solid state vibrator was installed, that item will not work and would have to change.

In addition to what you have changed, the starter solenoid may also have to change and you probably should have a ballast resistor for the coil. Don't forget about heater motors or any other 6v accessories.

There are some voltage converter devices such as this onehttp://www.ebay.com/itm/Voltage-Reducer-Regulator-12-VOLTS-to-6-VOLTS-20-AMPS-/140750092717?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20c55bf9ad&vxp=mtr to keep 6v accessories running with a conversion. They might be worth a look.

Posted on: 2012/5/10 15:47
Howard
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved