Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
257 user(s) are online (136 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 257

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Ethanol and the fuel system
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

rvsls
See User information
I took my carb and fuel pump off my 37,120 to do a rebuild in that I did not know the history of the gasket material and was having trouble with the carb leaking. When I disconnected the short flex hose from the fuel pump to the frame (rigid piping), some of the 10% ethanol fuel ran down the outside of the flex hose and immediately "melted" the outside of the hose!!! So, in addition to a carb and fuel pump rebuild, I am replacing the flex hose and other rubber pieces with modern, ethanol resistant hose material. I also found pieces of rubber in the strainer in the fuel pump float bowl.

Just a word to the wise, you might want to update your fuel system rubber hoses to the new, ethanol resistant hoses before they fail and you have a fire on your hands.

Rod

Posted on: 2012/5/23 21:42
 Top  Print   

Re: Ethanol and the fuel system
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Is there any numbers or names on the hose to identify it???
Can u give us some history on the hose such as how old is it, how long it has been on the car, name, numbers on hose etc.

Also check the needle and the seat of carb. Some 'rubber' tipped needles swell and deform exposed to ethanol.

Posted on: 2012/5/24 7:58
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
New and correct fuel inlet hoses made from ethanol-resistant modern fuel line hose have been available for years for all Packards 1935 and up. They are sold by PAC's Niagara Packards region, www.niagarapackards.com

Posted on: 2012/5/24 9:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ken_P
See User information
I have one of the flex hoses on my Packard and it presents very well. I also recommend sending your pump off to Arthur Gould for rebuilding. I did that last spring because it was only $20 more than the rebuild kit. In addition to a full rebuild with modern materials, he media blasted the whole pump, and it looks brand new. This picture doesn't show the flex hose, but it does show the rebuilt fuel pump.

Attach file:

jpg  (133.04 KB)
2964_4fbec90bf307d.jpg 1280X765 px

Posted on: 2012/5/24 18:49
1937 120 1092 - Original survivor for driving and continued preservation.
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=16514&forum=10

1937 115 1082 - Total basket case, partial restoration, sold Hershey 2015
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?start=0&topic_id=6550&order=ASC&status=&mode=0
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved