Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
222 user(s) are online (159 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 220

Todd W. White, Owen_Dyneto, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Voltage reg. not regulatin'
Home away from home
Home away from home

Joseph Earl
See User information
Guess I have another issue. I've noticed the ammeter gauge pegs to C, and the regulator is hot to the touch. Reads 8.5v at the battery when running.

I've read some of the period literature regarding testing/adjusting (thanks Howard), but I just don't have that kind of equipment. Only a digital multimeter.

I'm considering removing the cover and examining the contacts for burnt/stuck issues.

Any suggestions for a charging system novice with limited equipment?

Thanks!

Posted on: 2012/5/31 14:21
Joey

(?=#=?)

"If chrome got me home, I'd for sure still be stuck somewhere."

[url=http://pac
 Top  Print   

Re: Voltage reg. not regulatin'
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
First, we'll hope the regulator is the correct one for the car and generator. Have been a few cases with that body series lately where that has not been true and lots of over/under/intermittent wacky charging issues.

I'd remove the cover and verify the condition of the contacts. A common service item in the day was to clean and dress the contacts. Don't know if they made the long battery in 8v versions but if so, at 8.4 volts, it is possible the regulator may have been changed or adjusted to accommodate an 8v battery sometime in the car's life. Somewhat common back in the day -- at least on the regular square style batteries.

If that is not the case, then is it possible there is a grounding issue and the generator and regulator are at slightly different potentials. There should be a wire between generator frame or case to a mounting screw on headlight terminal strip at L fender and then another wire from that same screw to the regulator ground screw (or mounting screw if no separate ground). Verify there is and the connections are clean & solid.

If that is good, then make sure the one or two resistors on the bottom of regulator are not touching ground. Not a likely problem since the voltage isn't railed but has happened for one reason or another.

If everything is good, then I'm afraid it will take a shop with the proper equipment to diagnose exactly what is happening.

Posted on: 2012/5/31 15:28
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joseph Earl
See User information
Thanks, Howard, but I just fixed it.

I checked for a response to my post before I started. There was none, so I said, "What the heck," and decided to take a shot at it.

Pulling the regulator cover, and close examination of the contacts revealed the one on the passenger side had what looked like a tin whisker- a very fine protrusion connecting the contacts keeping them from breaking the circuit. A little dressing with a flat jeweler's file corrected the problem. The ammeter needle sits right in the middle, and the battery reads 6+v at idle.

Just as I finished, I heard my iPhone email alerting me of your post!

Another issue solved.

Posted on: 2012/5/31 15:52
Joey

(?=#=?)

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Good to hear. Contacts pitting and burning are common. Make sure the battery voltage measured across the posts goes to about 7.2-7.4v at a fast idle after starting the car and drawing a bit of the battery down. Just sitting with nothing running, the voltage should be 6.3 (depending on accuracy of meter).

Posted on: 2012/5/31 16:00
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joseph Earl
See User information
Will do. Thanks again!

Posted on: 2012/5/31 16:04
Joey

(?=#=?)

Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved