Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
251 user(s) are online (137 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 250

Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

EARLIEST of Packards question:
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Did the VERY early Packards use magneto ignition and what was the last year (approximate is fine) for mag ignition used in production????

How many cyclinders does such mag equiped engines (if any) have???

Posted on: 2012/6/5 10:23
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Re: EARLIEST of Packards question:
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
The early stuff through 03 used battery ignition and buzz coils.

The four cylinder stuff started using battery and buzz coils to start and magneto to run. You started on the batteries and switched to magneto after the motor was running.

Now you might wonder - how hard is it to start that big Model 30 and it's 465 cubic inches using the hand crank?

The answer is: With a little practice, they crank right over. I always liked showing off my muscle by ignoring the add on starter motors that are so often fitted to those cars. In fact one time I just finished one of those things and made a bet with one of the student helpers that it would crank over by hand in two turns. It did despite that it was towed in and I had never heard it run.

I'm not a big brass era car guy, but cranking over the big Packards by hand is really alot of fun. I never drove them except around the block for a test. And if you really want to show off get a 443 and if you just crack the priming cups you should be able to crank that big Custom 8 by hand as well.

Posted on: 2012/6/5 18:58
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved