Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
240 user(s) are online (161 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 240

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Door latch spring for 32 Packard
Home away from home
Home away from home

tbirdman
See User information
I think I found the almost exact match. Turns out a local Packard club member bought a box of these springs years ago at a swap meet. They were in a display box sorted by spring types. The first spring I picked up was a match. I guess I should had started my looking closer to home. Now to put the spring on...

Thanks for all of your help.

Posted on: 2012/6/19 18:39
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Glad you found an exact match. Since you're now not going to need the spring I sent you, would you please mail it back to me? Thanks.

Posted on: 2012/6/19 20:36
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

tbirdman
See User information
Will do. Can you PM your address?

Posted on: 2012/6/19 21:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

tbirdman
See User information
OK now I have the door spring I can't figure out way it goes. One way seems fairly easy to put the spring on but it does seem to have enough tension on the latch. The other way I need to really twist the spring about 90 degrees clockwise. I made a tool out of a small 1/8 socket by grinding a slot on the end so the tang can fit in there.

Attach file:

jpg  (107.79 KB)
793_4fe1516e2bec8.jpg 1024X768 px

jpg  (107.25 KB)
793_4fe1517a2eb52.jpg 1024X768 px

Posted on: 2012/6/19 23:31
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The open end of the spring just goes behind the latch bar to maintain tension on the latch bar in the outer or closed position.

Sent you a PM with my mailing address.

Posted on: 2012/6/20 8:40
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

tbirdman
See User information
OD,

So is picture one or two correct? Not sure what you mean by open spring end. I understand where the one end of t he spring goes, just not what direction.

Posted on: 2012/6/20 9:13
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The spring has to maintain outward pressure on the latch bar. So in picture #2, just slip the end of the spring behind the upper lip of the latch bar so it forces it outward.

Posted on: 2012/6/20 12:37
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

tbirdman
See User information
OD,

I think picture #1 is correct as no way would the original spring been able to main pressure using it in like oicture #2.

Still wrestling with it.

Posted on: 2012/6/20 22:35
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

tbirdman
See User information
Still wrestling with te spring. Any helpful hints. Still think pic #1 is the way to go.

Posted on: 2012/6/22 16:05
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I guess I'm having problems understanding why you're still having problems, it's about as simple as a mechanism can be, just one moving piece with a spring behind it. Am I missing something?

Remove the locking wave washer and lift off the latch bar; place the spring in position between the ears and crimp; wind it back out of the way, put the latch bar back on and release the spring.

It will almost certainly take more force than you have in your fingers to wind the spring so use some leverage, as I recall I used Vise Grips.

Perhaps so but I'm not convinced by looking at either of your pictures that you have the right spring but once you take the latch bar off it should become obvious if you do or don't.

Posted on: 2012/6/22 17:17
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved