Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
206 user(s) are online (98 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 203

Ozstatman, moodydavid16, BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Speedo cable help needed
Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
The three screws are speedometer only. Funny, but I have exactly the opposite view of dash removal. Through some quirk of fate the dashboards in the '49 and '50 are both darn near perfect and gather lots of respectful comments at shows. I would be too terrified to remove either dash for fear of scratching it. Now the '41... that's a different story... I'll just rip that sucker out and go to work on it.

Posted on: 2012/6/24 20:28
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joseph Earl
See User information
Mine needs refinishing. I plan to purchase the a graining roller and zinc plate with the correct image of the grain for my '48 when I can come up with the $.

Posted on: 2012/6/24 20:36
Joey

(?=#=?)

"If chrome got me home, I'd for sure still be stuck somewhere."

[url=http://pac
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Yeah, I'm going to have to do something with the '41 dashboard eventually... it's a mess.

I removed the '49 speedometer this morning. It wasn't that big of a deal, but the temperature in the garage is rapidly becoming intolerable. Just the three screws and the trip odometer reset. Just as BDeB described it.

Attach file:

jpg  (41.59 KB)
188_4fe8978540fbb.jpg 720X480 px

Posted on: 2012/6/25 11:53
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joseph Earl
See User information
That helps a lot to see where the screws are.

Did you discover why yours was binding?

Posted on: 2012/6/25 13:05
Joey

(?=#=?)

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
When I bought the car the speedometer cable was disconnected and the speedometer pointed at 30 MPH. I have disassembled it, figured out how it works, and I'd say it suffered a catastrophic failure. Looks like the pointer mechanism that is supposed to only be influenced by the spinning magnets became somehow engaged with them. It appears as if the pointer restraining springs were just spun into useless tangles of fine wire. It must have been something to see as the pointer spun around the dial at the same rate as the cable (until the cable snapped). I'll post some pictures on my '41 project blog later.

It looks like I'm in the market for a new speedometer mechanism. I'll re-use the trip odometer on the '50 as that one only works when it wants to (like the clock).

Posted on: 2012/6/25 13:37
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joseph Earl
See User information
Ouch!

Posted on: 2012/6/25 13:53
Joey

(?=#=?)

Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved