Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
240 user(s) are online (137 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 240

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Were Motor Numbers Stamped into Packard Frames?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Dan Phenicie
See User information
I am mostly familiar with 1932-34 Chrysler Products and the motor number was stamped into the driver side frame rail in several locations.

Have motor numbers been observed on 1947 Packard frames?

Hope to hear 1st hand from someone who has taken a frame down to bare metal and has inspected it thoroughly . . .

Thanks, Dan

Posted on: 2012/6/24 18:58
Dan
 Top  Print   

Re: Were Motor Numbers Stamped into Packard Frames?
Home away from home
Home away from home

John Harley
See User information
Dep5

Nope. This is covered elsewhere this site and other places, here is the drill.

1. Engine number. You will find on this site the assignments by year and model

2. "theft proof" number . This is a large number stamped on cowl. The number is not removeable and therefore postive proof of identity of the partcular car. For all that, the number was usually only used in internal Packard documents. Owen Dyneto who frequents this site has been studying this subject for several years.

3. Cars built after Briggs took over body production have a plate riveted underneath the theft proof number. This is in the form of number of body style-hyphen- body number in that series. I think the stating number in a series is usually 2001

4. Number plate, what we would call a VIN plate. Usually this is very close but not the same as the Briggs body number. It is screwed on so the dealer could remove it to add delivery data. The delivery data ceased during the 22nd series but this system was used until 1951..

As with everything Packard did, there are anomalies and exceptions

Regards

John Harley

Posted on: 2012/6/24 22:02
 Top  Print   

Re: Were Motor Numbers Stamped into Packard Frames?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Dan Phenicie
See User information
John, yes I am aware of all the points you raise
Thanks, Dan

Posted on: 2012/6/24 22:21
Dan
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved