Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
230 user(s) are online (131 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 230

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Whitewall width question
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Would anyone care to speculate on the width of the whitewalls on the 400 and Caribbean in the photo.

I had read and do recall seeing a photo of a narrow tire at another car show in the Kimes edited book. IIRC, that photo was showing a narrow width installed on just a single 56. Here is another example showing that apparently they were used on more than just the one car and show. 56 Car show

I guess the question I have would be if anyone knows or can interpolate the width. If something modern is available approximating that width, would they be considered more or less correct or were those narrow tires strictly on show cars and not really available.

Posted on: 2012/7/16 19:35
Howard
 Top  Print   

Re: Whitewall width question
Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
I like the comment on the photo, about a 68 corvette in the background! My eyes can't find it. I wonder if they were looking at the frame at back?

Posted on: 2012/7/16 20:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bobby
See User information
Based on the width of the tire itself and the proportion of the white stripe to that, I'd say about 3.5".

As I recall, show cars were a time to not only show off your wares, but also to'Test the waters' with a bit of informal marketing research on features/ideas that were in the early stages of development. In '56, manufacturers were looking ahead to the early '60's (recall they were side tracked by Ex's 'Forward look') and had already begun working on those designs, the basic styling themes, including narrower white stripes. So, maybe these were a tantalizing view of tomorrow?
As I recall, the 'Predictor', which was a glimpse into the '57 that was to never be, featured them, too.

I like them, btw..

Posted on: 2012/7/16 21:16
1954 black Patrician, unrestored, mostly original, minty!!
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
I like the 3/4 or 1 inch white wall, have them on mine, makes car look sporty montgomery wards 4- for a 100 bucks,

now 200 for a d, tire,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

What was stock size of white wall, 2 3/4 inch?,,,

rik///

Posted on: 2012/7/16 21:49
Riki
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Victor
See User information
I would love to find out the answer to that question too!

What was the regular whitewall width of the tires regularly supplied by Packard? Did they use any particular brand?

Any suggestions as to the closest replacement available today?

Thanks

Posted on: 2012/7/18 18:46
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
The first production use of narrow white walls that I recall were on the 1957 Eldorado Brougham. I think those were especially created for that car as they were also low profile. Naturally, in a couple of years they were available to everyone.

Posted on: 2012/7/18 19:48
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan (parts ?)
1951 Patrician Touring Sedan
1955 Patrician Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
I have movie film of my dads brand new 56 pat, and the white walls don't look bigger than 3 inches,

i think Coker tire and another company sells bias tires ,,different white wall sizes,,

but they are pricey,,,

Posted on: 2012/7/18 22:06
Riki
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Victor
See User information
Does anybody know the original bias ply tire's whitewall width? I am not referring to the new for 56 or 57 tires but for the regularly used tires in 55 and 56.

Thanks,

Posted on: 2012/7/24 16:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
The spare in the trunk of my '55 has a 3 1/4" WW. It's 820 X 15 and looks to be original to the car even though I've no proof of that.

Posted on: 2012/7/24 20:28
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan (parts ?)
1951 Patrician Touring Sedan
1955 Patrician Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved