Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
212 user(s) are online (147 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 211

humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: 32 900 Hinge Pin Removal
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
The tool is described in an issue of the Packard Service Letter from 1935 that we don't yet have in our archive, but here's what I gather of its design and operation:

* The upper jaw must have a hole that's large enough for the round head of the hinge pin to pass through. This jaw will rest against the end of the hinge.

* The lower jaw must have a hole that holds a driving pin (not shown) that will push against the opposite end of the hinge pin as the screw is tightened - hence, the washer and bearing shown between screw head and jaw. The driving pin must be smaller in diameter than the hinge pin, so that it doesn't become lodged in the hinge.

* The large pin to the right of the screw is a guide to keep the jaws in alignment. Since it appears to pass through the upper jaw, it must be anchored firmly in the lower jaw.

This arrangement may provide better clearance for turning the screw than the modern C-clamp type. If you scour the Internet, you'll find other modern tools that are variations on this basic theme, but Packard's tool might just be the best design.

I've no doubt that the this tool could be reproduced, locally, using the image as a guide, along with a little study of the hinge as installed (being mindful of clearance for painted surfaces), and a little prototyping and testing.

However, I believe that Packard offered some hinge pins in both a standard and an oversize diameter (check your parts books), which might complicate things.

Posted on: 2012/7/25 16:05
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved