Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
123 user(s) are online (88 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 122

37Blanche, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: 288 stuck valves
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Glad to hear you were successful. Where did you get the crappy head gasket?

Posted on: 2012/9/24 21:35
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Before condeming the head gasket let me ask, did you retorque the head within perhaps the first half-hour of running, and again after 100 miles or so? That is pretty much standard practice with flathead engines and essential to get a long-lived gasket seal.

Posted on: 2012/9/25 8:34
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Robin
See User information
Got the head gasket from Max Merrit. It is a substantial looking piece being metal clad with copper fire rings. Now having said that it must be said that this engine had less than two hours running time on it and had not been retorqued. But on pulling the head the gasket was physically broken. This often happens when removing a head but the gasket was not stuck at all to either the block or the head. In other words who knows. But I have run the car a few hours and retorqued with the new gasket. It needed the retorque and all is good.

Posted on: 2012/9/28 22:17
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Glad to hear all is well thus far. Don't forget to check the torque one more time after perhaps 200 miles or so.

Regarding the original query in this thread about intake valves sticking, note that Packard recommended a slight counterbore at the top of the guide for such problems, this is covered in one of the shop manuals, perhaps 1938 IIRC.

Posted on: 2012/9/29 9:42
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Robin
See User information
I don't recall where the first head gasket came from, it was part of an engine overhaul gasket set. But there are several different types available it would seem. I know on other vehicles and engine types there may be several different styles available. My experience tells me to use the best as penny pinching on gaskets is usually going to come back and bite you.

Posted on: 2012/10/21 15:53
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved