Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
170 user(s) are online (99 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 169

53 Cavalier, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

'30s Brake Vac. Can
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packardbarry
See User information
Know the Factory Spec on LBS PULL of the '30s Brake Vac. Can?

Posted on: 2012/8/25 8:20
 Top  Print   

Re: '30s Brake Vac. Can
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Yes, I've got some a reference to that somewhere. But it depends on which models/year since, depending on year the Eights and Twelves used two different diameter booster cylinders and the 33/34 models had a dash control to vary the amount of boost so the lbs of pull would depend on which valve setting you selected.

You can also calculate it knowing the surface area of the vacuum piston and the vacuum applied.

PS - the BK-13740 suspended cylinder type used on 33/34 Eights and Super Eights provided up to 249 lbs of pull with the brake selector at position #1. (ed-corrected).

If you can find it there is a nice little publication about testing and servicing these units, Servicing B-K Vacuum Power Brakes published by Bendix Products Division, South Bend, IN, 1942.

UPDATE: Doing the rough math, assuming 19 inches of vacuum (probably higher decellerating) and an effective diameter of the booster cylinder of 30 square inches (6-1/4 diam), I get 210 lbs of pull by the booster cylinder. For the Twelve with a 8" diameter booster the same assumptions give about 350 lbs of assist. The Bragg-Kliesrath service manual shows 282 lbs of pull on a 6" cylinder with 20" of vacuum, so by concencus of data and methods, between 210 and 282 lbs of force applied by the booster to the pedal linkage.

Posted on: 2012/8/25 8:27
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved