Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
114 user(s) are online (73 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 114

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Help with broken radio antenna!
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Muir
See User information
Hi everybody,
Hoping for some advice here - I've got a little bit of an issue: my '56 Patrician has the twin aerial antenna masts on the rear guards and one of them has inevitably broken at the base. As they both work fine mechanically, I'm seriously keen on fixing them schmakeroo'ed one.
Now, of course, 5 foot long antenna just doesn't happen down at supercheap auto's - I tried robbing the bits out of my brothers '53 Cavalier but they're too different for adaption.
Are there replacement masts available or something similar? Have to admit theres budget constraints and forking out a few hundred on a complete aerial IF I can find one isn't really part of the plan.
I kind of like the idea of keeping the twin antenna's (antennae?)... probably raise 'em and hang a hammock between them....
Any ideas always welcome :)

Just to add something different about my car too: Have two levelizer's, one of which has been snapped off at the base and the splines twisted, the other with just the splines twisted. Have two switches, and the receipts say the first replacement switch was done in '57. Thats a 100% severe failure rate where the levelizer hasn't switched off and it's just carried on motorising until it's done more twisting then Chubby Checker. Can't help but think that if you "asked the man who owns one" at the time it possibly didn't do the system much good in it's reputation (although I'm sold on it).

Thanks everybody
Muir

Posted on: 2013/5/3 21:45
 Top  Print   

Re: Help with broken radio antenna!
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
No repro antenna masts are advertised as available as far as I know since Antenna Masters quit the business years ago. Tucson Packard has repaired some rear antennas and had them on ebay recently. The masts might have been good to start with or they could have bought the old inventory or have a source but don't know for sure. Maybe worth an inquiry to them or to Kanter but I wouldn't hold my breath on either. You are right about the expensive part. I almost fell out of the chair when I saw the price for the restored units.

As far as any ideas, barring new masts or units I'm out of any good ones. Is there any possibility the mast assy could be disassembled down to individual tubes and repaired. If stainless maybe tig welded or brazed if they are made of brass. It would mean shortening a tiny bit to get a perfect splice point and someone with some skills. Maybe need some kind of temporary inner support while it was done to keep tube straight and then rechroming. Other than time wasted and maybe cost I can't think of a reason not to try it. It's probably no good as is so not like you are going to hurt it more. Even though there is a fair space between tubes, the issue might be getting the inside smooth after the repair so the next mast end contact could slide past the repair.

The suspension problem is interesting. 55s had limit switch issues, corrosion issues and water getting into the solenoids but thought that had all been resolved by 56.

One of our posters had a solenoid stick not too long ago and only fast action on his part as he heard the motor keep running saved the day there. If the 56 limit switch is not screwed all the say into the housing or if the end of the nylon plunger has worn, I could see where that would cause a failure to stop. Otherwise, haven't heard too many issues electrically on them.

Posted on: 2013/5/3 22:04
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
I bought a pair of antennas from Antenna Masters when he set up on a card table at Carlisle years ago. He created the tooling to reproduce the antennas and his wife still has it, but I understand she won't talk to anyone about it. I called many years ago to no avail.
I should have bought a dozen!

Posted on: 2013/5/3 22:29
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Muir
See User information
Funny thing is the '53 antenna is the same diameter as one of the inner sections of the '56, but the lengths are all kahouts.
I'm quite game to have a go pulling the sleeves and trying to find a 'universal' mast that I can just throw away the workings and just use it for the sleeves. It's on the 'dummy' side so it just has to go up and down. The motors on both run very well, like all the cars electrics do, so I'd like to keep fettling with it.
As said, it's not like there's a lot happening with it at the moment - there isn't even a mast there.
Being in New Zealand I have to pretty much rely on internet based sources: most of the time on ebay, but we make do with what we can.
I have a feeling the levelizer issue that may car has had many years ago is possibly a reason why some packards got parked up at the time. Possibly (a bit like the dana diff issue) is that the cars around today have had no issues or had their issues sorted long ago and thats why they're still around today. Back in the '60's or 70's when something went ping then it was probably bad news day for the poor old car.
I guess most of the cars around today have been good and reliable throughout their lives
Have come up with a fairly foolproof alternative anyway.

Posted on: 2013/5/3 23:55
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved