Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
194 user(s) are online (122 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 191

BigKev, Don B, Ernie Vitucci, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

IS IT WORTH RESTORING
Just popping in
Just popping in

Randy
See User information
MY GODFATHER GAVE ME A 1954 PACKARD CONVERTIBLE THAT HAS BEEN DISASSEMBLED BUT EVERYTHING IS THERE. MY QUESTION IS IS IT WORTH DOING AND HOW RARE IS THIS CAR. I SEE THERE WAS ONLY 863 PRODUCED IN 1954.

Posted on: 2008/7/11 22:38
 Top  Print   

Re: IS IT WORTH RESTORING
Home away from home
Home away from home

gone1951
See User information
10,000 comedians out of work and you're trying to be funny. Yes of course it's worth restoring. People would kill for a convertible. I'll give you $100.00 for it.

Posted on: 2008/7/11 23:03
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Is it a regular 1954 convertible or a 1954 Caribbean? Either way it is certainly worth restoring. Your name sounds familiar.

Posted on: 2008/7/11 23:59
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
I'll give you $200 for it.

Posted on: 2008/7/12 0:08
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joel Ray
See User information
Probably not worth restoring. I'll take it off your hands though if you want to avoid disposal costs. If the car is real good and solid and original you could hot rod it and make it have some value.

Posted on: 2008/7/12 7:21
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Bubba
See User information
Perfectly restored it's worth $41,000 and it would definetly be worth it. Even if u don't want to spend the money. You could make money off of it too. Whatever you do I wouldn't give it some of these people willing to "take it off of your hands" or buy it for 100 bucks. Theres value in there.

Posted on: 2008/7/15 3:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Allen Kahl
See User information
Hey Bubba

Lighten up a little, all the sub par offerers are being facetious. I doubt seriously if any of them would follow thru on it unless that is the price the guy was asking for it. Most Packard people DO have a sense of honor. Now I did see a 53 convertible once in upstate N.Y. outside Utica I believe that was not even worth $100. I don't think there were two pieces of metal that were touching each other. The car was so far gone that it quite possibly would have made a good kite.

By all means restore it. If everything is there and all the metal is in good shape you won't put $41K in it, unless of course you do a body off rotissere restoration. Good Luck

Posted on: 2008/7/15 8:37
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
Randy this question gets asked a lot. The usual answer is that it would be cheaper, easier and quicker to go buy a good one.

Your case is the exception. A 54 Packard convertible deserves to be restored, and you at least have a fighting chance of it being worth some serious dough when you are done.

However you would have to commit to doing a good job and spending thousands of $$$$ bucks to do it right. Not all at once but over a period of time.

If are not really into this restoration project it would be better to pass it on to someone who wants it bad.

Do not start work then pooh out and sell it. Whatever you put in would be lost. In other words, if it was not completed it would be worth no more than it is worth today. If you can't complete the job, you would be better off not to start in the first place.

So you have to ask yourself how bad you want the car and if you can afford the time and money it would take to see it through to completion. It might pay to have an experienced restorer look it over and give you an estimate.

Then make up your mind, map out a plan and go to work. I'm sure there guys on this board who can give you more specific advice, if you plan to go ahead with it.

Posted on: 2008/7/15 13:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

gone1951
See User information
I fully agree with everything Rusty O\Toole said. I'll still give you 100 bucks for it and I'll pay for the smog check.

Posted on: 2008/7/15 19:10
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved