Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
160 user(s) are online (99 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 160

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 »

marks 52 300... continuing where dad gave up.
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Mark Huff
See User information
As I've posted before this 52 was handed down from my grandfather formerly known as Mark Huff of Mark huff motor Co. But known to me as Papaw. Not exactly handed down but put into storage for 35 years and taken out by my dad. Dad started restoring her more from the outside in by making her pretty. Now I have her and see the real issues. Decided to start today in the back seat. All the original padding was still there. I think this stuff is asbestos so I removed it and see a sea of rust under it all. Here we go with a wire wheel and a lot of back ache!

Attach file:

jpg  (38.40 KB)
7518_51fe99bccd4a8.jpg 640X360 px

jpg  (47.33 KB)
7518_51fe99d76b6b5.jpg 640X360 px

Posted on: 2013/8/4 13:14
25 years in the MP Corps never prepared me for a 52 Packard that sat sealed off from the world for 40 years!
 Top  Print   

Re: marks 52 300... continuing where dad gave up.
Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
What you are seeing is probably a combo of rust and the fiber padding under the seat. Using asbestos would not have made sense there. The sound deadening stuff under the carpet, assuming that your 52 is a 300 or 400 could possibly have had asbestos in it. If it was a 200, the original flooring was "rubber simulated carpet" to quote the salesman's manual.

Posted on: 2013/8/4 17:50
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Mark Huff
See User information
End of day one. Only found a few rust holes... thinking about attempting a fill job. Then coating the whole bottom under the carpet with caned ryno liner or that rubber sealer stuff as seen on tv... where the guy sprays a screen door in a boat...

Attach file:

jpg  (57.03 KB)
7518_51fedb138c82f.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (88.04 KB)
7518_51fedb2b02939.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2013/8/4 17:52
25 years in the MP Corps never prepared me for a 52 Packard that sat sealed off from the world for 40 years!
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Mark - You will probably get lots of help on this floor project. I recently did the floor boards of my 55 Clipper. Removed the front and rear seats, carpeting, and pedals. I had a little surface rust like you. I removed the surface rust in the few areas that had some. Next I applied a rust inhibitor/converter to the areas. I used the Jasco product which I bought at Lowe's. Basically, it is an chemical converter. I then painted the whole floor board area.

You may want to do something similar. I especially recommend removing the front seat and carpeting. There is a place around the access panel around the brake and accelerator pedals that is especially prone to rust damage.

Also, there are some good sound and heat insulation mats that would be good to install before new carpeting or mats. Take a look at my project blog on the floor board work on my 55 Clipper and HH56's project on the floor of his 47 Clipper, both in the project blog section.

I have missed seeing you and the Packard at Salado. If you remember, my dad was the Packard dealer in Santa Fe.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2013/8/5 10:59
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Mark Huff
See User information
Thanks JW... was just logging on to seek advise... I ground and flap disk sanded the whole back seat floor and applied Loctite brand rust neutralizer to the whole area. I probably could have picked up something a little cheaper at Lowes or the Depot but I was impatient on getting something on the bare metal this being monsoon season and a shower every day this week in the forecast. I started to apply a rubber undercoat product but it appears it just peels off with as little effort as a fingernail. So wondering if you "experts" have a tried and true method of a good coating to put on the floor under the carpet to keep the water from more damage. I still have to fix the window seals that are hard as a rock. And as yall all know the Packard Company made a hell of a car but the seals even when new have issues.

As for the Salado Packard meet the charismatic guy you met showing this 300 was my father. He was a great guy with a lot of knowledge on this old car but passed away on 11/11/11. He started the restoration process for me knowing I wanted to get her back on the road.

A pic below of the neutralizer coated area
And a pic of a set of 50th anniversary key blanks found in the old dealership in a box of at least 100 sets of old car keys. My daughter collected the Pretty ones and these were in the bunch. They fit the key holes so ill get them cut eventually. 3 years off but that's okay.

Attach file:

jpg  (61.65 KB)
7518_5200271b70f7a.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (103.11 KB)
7518_52002764df4c0.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2013/8/5 17:33
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Mark Huff
See User information
Well the back looked so good I was super optimistic on the front. Apparently the seals are a lot worse on the front doors....
and yes.... that is house carpet liner... just holding the heck out of the water

Attach file:

jpg  (69.64 KB)
7518_52002bdd9cd87.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2013/8/5 17:49
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
Herculiner will stick pretty dang hard and if you can chip that with your fingernail you are superman.

Posted on: 2013/8/5 18:23
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Mark Huff
See User information
Where do you get herculiner... ?? Does it come in a can or is it brush on... ether way works for me as long as I can get it local....

Well the end of today proved to be a day of finding out I need to go get a welding unit and some steel. Need to replace a few rather large chunks inbthe front floor adj the door openings. The low spots of course.

The second pic is a strange one to me... maybe normal. I slid the cover for the transmission open and there is a bolt with a hole only covered by a piece of cloth... any clues out there on if this is supposed to have a seal or should I see the gears in the tranny?

Attach file:

jpg  (86.19 KB)
7518_5200498a3927e.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (95.81 KB)
7518_52004a6f20468.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2013/8/5 20:00
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Mark Huff
See User information
Cant figure out why my phone posts all my pictures sideways... sorry

Posted on: 2013/8/5 20:01
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
The lower photo is the breather vent for the transmission. The hole is supposed to be filled with metal mesh to keep dirt out.
Some people also use this opening to add transmission fluid as the filler neck under the car is awkward to get at.

Posted on: 2013/8/5 20:14
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved