Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
163 user(s) are online (101 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 161

JWL, BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Finally. 6V, +-ground, 55-amp alternators
Home away from home
Home away from home

su8overdrive
See User information
for 1940-50 Packards with the 356 engine. Took us awhile to
get them to machine correct pulley for the 356's hefty fanbelt using an original generator pulley i furnished.

Pardon my not placing this in the "Modification" forum, but to some of us, this is the sort of upgrade Packard might've made had they remained in business, like radial tires, multi-weight detergent motor oil, silicone DOT-5 brake fluid, lightweight, small, non-leaking or off-gassing 800 cold cranking amp Optima batteries, none of which butcher nor alter our cars in the least.

Not here to debate, just pass along this info for those of
you welcoming brighter head and tail lights, faster battery recovery.

I posted this early this year, but the shop didn't yet have the correct pulley. They do now. Jim at AAB can also furnish complete, bolt-in, one-wire, six-volt, positive-ground alternators for any other Packard or vintage/Classic.
Their phone number below, Monday through Friday:

Antique Auto Battery
602 West Rayen Avenue
Youngstown, OH 44502-1126
1 (800) 426-7580
www.antiqueautobattery.com

No butchering or alteration of the car in the least. Comes with complete bracket. If you miss the dim head and taillights at idle at dusk and night, you can easily reinstall your original AutoLite or Delco generator, with its 35 peak amps only when your engine's turning 2,000 rpm, should you tire of having 55 amps at idle, faster battery recovery, etc.

This tip strictly for those of you who like me, have long since made your purist bones, and aren't aghast at such a simple, wee upgrade that doesn't harm our cars in the least.

Jim at AAB will answer your questions. Again, bolt-in, complete,
no butchering or alteration. We ran a new
wire from the single post on the alternator to two of the wires we pulled from the now empty leftmost (furthest from the engine) voltage regulator post, these three joined with a small bolt wrapped with electrician's tape.

We grounded one of the generator wires, i think armature, wrapped the other two out of the way and that was it. Car starts and runs, overdrive works. A friend with a '47 Custom in British Columbia did the same and he's happy, too. That's all there was to the wiring.

It looks like an alternator where the heavy generator would otherwise be. You retain your old generator adjusting strap for belt tension. I've a spare if anyone's in need. Rather than give the alternator a thin wash of black paint, i left it bare for better heat dissipation.

Should it make you feel better, some taxis and other vehicles in the '50s had six-volt alternators.
If you don't say anything, few will ever notice your upgrade. Our cars look sleeker with the hoods closed, anyway, and those complaining at the local shine and show might get lives or go work on their own cars.

Posted on: 2013/8/16 16:08
 Top  Print   

Re: Finally. 6-V, +-ground 55-amp alternators
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
That is good to hear the pulley is finally available. Is it available separately or just with the purchase of one of their alternators? I didn't see any photos or a mention of any alternator even being available on the website.

Am seriously considering one since I will be adding AC and that will still be a 6v unit. For those of us who might be contemplating the alternator, could you post a photo or two of how it looks and fits in your car.

You mentioned no alterations to the car. What about the regulator? Also, if the senior cars are stock they have the starter solenoid wired to get ground thru the old generator. Did yours have that setup & did you make any changes there?

Posted on: 2013/8/16 16:33
Howard
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved