Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
195 user(s) are online (101 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 194

DavidM, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

transmission - rebuild or exchange
Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Graber
See User information
Gentlemen,
Your opinions as to whether a rebuilt, original to the car transmission would have any effect on value. (as opposed to a correct exchange).
The question arises because I can take somewhat of a chance with a reputable but Packard inexperienced shop or, pay more freight and get an exchange unit from a Packard "expert". I am leaning toward the exchange, but am curious about value. Methinks it really doesn't matter to value as long as it is the right one.
Your thoughts appreciated,
Mark

Posted on: 2013/8/20 22:12
 Top  Print   

Re: transmission - rebuild or exchange
Home away from home
Home away from home

Gary
See User information
Mark,
Sounds like you're talking about an Ultramatic in this case. I personally don't think retaining the original transmission is critical at all when it comes to affecting value but depending on how I was going to use the car, I might be concerned about the original engine staying with the car. I'm sure there were Packard dealerships all over the country that changed tranny's out if something serious enough happened like a casting defect or spun bushing or whatever the case may be, does it make it any less valuable today if it was changed out by a Packard dealership years ago? Besides, unless it's documented, who's to say anyway? I think there were instances where for instance there was an overstock of '51 Ultramatics at the end of the run and to use them up they installed them in the early '52 cars but did it make the '52 car less valuable because it had a '51 transmission in it? No because who would know unless there was a major change like the early '54's coming out with the standard Ultramatic and then later cars being equipped with the gear-start. I'd probably go the exchange route too considering the experience that went into the build...just my 2 cents worth.

Posted on: 2013/8/20 22:50
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Unlike Ultras, I don't believe standard trans had any serial or stamped mfg numbers. If that's the case there would be no way to tell an exchanged trans from the original. Even if there is a number, as was mentioned exchange transmissions were available from a dealer and without records who could ever say if one was installed.

Posted on: 2013/8/20 23:01
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Graber
See User information
Gator, your two cents are worth quite a bit to me. And Howard, you are the sage as far as I am concerned.
I suspected that transmissions were pretty generic and I just wanted to make sure. BTW this is a standard with OD for '47.
I have confidence in our friends at Max Merritt as opposed to a bit of a crap shoot with a local transmission shop. I think the extra shipping costs could be well worth the aggravation.
Lucky for me we have a good engine shop in Anchorage that has rebuilt dozens of engines for some of my fellow AACA members.
Thanks Gentlemen,
Mark

Posted on: 2013/8/20 23:48
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved