Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
94 user(s) are online (74 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 94

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Can my antenna be fixed?
Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
56 Patrician with the standard power antenna. The nylon cord that raises and lowers it appears to be detached, but the motor appears to work both ways.

Has anyone got a workable fix/rebuildfor these that works well? If so....who?

Posted on: 2013/9/17 14:55
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Re: Can my antenna be fixed?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Since Antenna Masters shut down years ago I don't know of anyone else repro'ing the masts. The nylon strip is an odd shape that I haven't been able to find anything close to being available commercially.

Nylon strip is crimped onto the small inner mast piece with a special connector. It is prone to either breaking or, if the antenna sticks, the motor mechanism wears a spot in the nylon and motion stops at that point. In a pinch, if you need to move the antenna & strip is only worn, pushing or pulling the smallest antenna piece while the motor is running will get it past that spot -- but is not a long term solution.

You might try Tucson Packards. From time to time they advertise hard to find antennas as "rebuilt" on their ebay store. Worth a call to see if they actually rebuild and can or would do it and what it would consist of. If their website prices for rebuilt antennas are any indication, be sitting down if they say yes and give a quote.

I take it Mike D. or Ross can't help? It might be quicker or easier to find another antenna rather than a rebuilder and keep your old available for other parts or if a replacement mast is found.

Posted on: 2013/9/17 15:39
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I heard a while back that Sandy Chirco repaired these. If not, why not take a try at it yourself using something like weed whacker nylon cord.

Yes HH, too bad about Antenna Masters - he did lovely work.

Posted on: 2013/9/17 16:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
For me, $500 is a bit rich for a rebuilt unit. Sounds like a good look see for the winter with my tool and die friend....

Posted on: 2013/9/18 2:44
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved