Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
140 user(s) are online (100 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 140

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1955 Patrician Battery Cut Out Switch
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Jimmy Scichilone
See User information
I am installing a battery cut off switch...the type that clamps on to the battery terminal...and then the cable. My 55 Patrcian is all original with the standard 12+ ground system. That would make the Positive side of the battery the ground side.....and the Negative side of the battery the hot side...... am I correct that I should put the switch on the Negative (hot) side? Or should the cut off switch be on the grounded side of the system? Ive seen this both ways and heard it debated both ways. My past electrical skills incline me to think it should be installed on the Hot (negative) side of this system, so the hot side opens when the system is disconnected. What is the general opinion on this?

Posted on: 2013/9/26 17:48
De Mortuis Nil Nisi Bonum...Speak Only Good Of The Dead.....
 Top  Print   

Re: 1955 Patrician Battery Cut Out Switch
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Mark Huff
See User information
My 52 300 has one installed by my grandfather and its on the negative (hot) terminal. Works great at keeping the system from draining the juice in the storage months.
The only issue is, is the clock no longer wants to work. I think due to the on off-on-off when there was a bulb short in the rear seat that wouldnt turn off last year. Still havent fixed that issue... just removed the bulb.... bigger fish to fry.

Posted on: 2013/9/26 18:33
25 years in the MP Corps never prepared me for a 52 Packard that sat sealed off from the world for 40 years!
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Absolutely install the switch on the ground (+) side. The reason is simple, the switch will be in close proximity to the metal battery hold down bracket (assuming that's what you have) and if you put it on the negative side, should it ever move a fraction of an inch you have the risk for a huge dead short right at the battery should it ever touch the bracket which is direct path to ground.

Posted on: 2013/9/26 22:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Totally agree with O_D on connecting battery disconnect to the ground terminal. Here are two photos showing a heavy duty disconnect terminal I found at NAPA. The NAPA number is 728218. I installed it on my 47 Clipper Custom. It works well on the 6-volt system. I also have one on my Model A hot rod which has a 12-volt electrics. Most convenient to connect and disconnect.

(o{}o)

Attach file:

jpg  (32.93 KB)
565_524deade7c9ba.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (36.00 KB)
565_524deaf4e49c8.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2013/10/3 17:09
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved