Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
81 user(s) are online (54 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 79

CarFreak, Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Windshield scratches
Home away from home
Home away from home

WILLIS BIRKS
See User information
I have noticed some scratches on the windshield of my 54 Clipper. Some are the standard windshield wiper kind, but above them are several light scratches. Is it possible to remove or reduce the scratches with a rubbing compoud?

Posted on: 2013/9/27 12:20
 Top  Print   

Re: Windshield scratches
Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Graber
See User information
Hi Willis,
I think Eastwood still carries a kit with a rubbing compound. I tried it years ago with limited success, but then again it could have been user issues.
Good luck
Mark

Posted on: 2013/9/27 13:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gary
See User information
I had some Turtle Wax polishing compound that I used to try and remove some scratch's out of my windshield. All were brought about by the windshield wipers and range anywhere from a light haze to a couple that will barely catch a finger nail. The polishing compound I used is far too fine to use by hand and I'm somewhat convinced that removing scratches from glass by hand is best approached by using several different grits of compound and graduating up from a more course compound to remove the scraches and then a finer course to polish. After placing a phone call on the subject, I came to the conclusion that the job is best left to the folks in the auto glass business who have the materials and experience to remove them a lot faster than I can for a price that became more reasonable with every minute of my wasted attempts but yes, light scratch's can be removed either way.

Posted on: 2013/9/27 16:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

WILLIS BIRKS
See User information
Thanks, good info. At least I should get an estimate.

Posted on: 2013/9/27 20:29
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
I understand they use jeweller's rouge. The rule of thumb is, a scratch deep enough to catch a fingernail can't be buffed out. Well it can, but will result in distortion like a fun house mirror.

Posted on: 2013/9/27 20:37
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved