Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
158 user(s) are online (87 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 155

37Blanche, TxGoat, humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Glass check
Home away from home
Home away from home

64avanti
See User information
Most of the coups that I have looked at have broken door glass.
What is the cost to replace? Would I need to have glass made to avoid old, delaminated glass?
Also wondering about windshields. Any new ones left out there?
What is an average going price.
Thanks!

Posted on: 2013/11/10 23:38
 Top  Print   

Re: Glass check
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
There are several companies on ebay which have the patterns for the side glass. One offers a complete kit starting at 280 for clear. Tinted is higher. Pricing out just the usually broken window on another site was 75. Again, tinted was higher. No idea on how much it would cost to have installed.

A frequent poster had a windshield sourced and replaced by his insurance company a few months back so windshields are still out there but probably not cheap. No idea on the rear window.

You might be able to have the side glass cut and then installed at a local glass shop but IIRC, there was a comment just recently that the glass from one of the ebay types was better cut and finished than the local item.

Posted on: 2013/11/11 0:25
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
The door on my 4-door was cracked. I searched online for Packard windows and came up with a place in Iowa. Unfortunately I cannot think of who it is. They had the pattern already and shipped the glass. Fit perfect. That was for a '51. Don't know if the V8 glass is very different. I installed it myself.

Posted on: 2013/11/13 13:48
[url=h
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
Had some glass work done last year.

New windshield was about $1800 installed with new rubber. It is a bitch to install the trim pieces. Glass goes in fine.

Had a choice of new windshields; took the closer one. Something like $700 plus 200-300 for shipping and crating.

It is new glass, not old stock or used.

As to flat glass, any competent glass guy should be able to provide "safety" glass, in a choice of tints or plain. My glass guy can also provide flat glass as tempered glass, which is much stronger than safety (laminated).

In this area, auto glass plus in Arlington Heights. They cut to car; do not have patterns.

Hope this helps....

Posted on: 2013/11/13 17:02
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

64avanti
See User information
Thanks fellows, great information.

Posted on: 2013/11/13 19:02
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Troy Taylor
See User information
I needed some glass too for some cracks. I get mine from Packardssouthwest, great product and Saved big $$$$ over custom shops. I could have done six door replacements for the price I paid for One. Give Gerry a shout.

Attach file:

jpg  (123.53 KB)
17226_528415aa5f8dd.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2013/11/13 19:10
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved