Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
64 user(s) are online (49 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 63

oldguy, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Clutch, NOS or modern
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

eightinline
See User information
Do you think there would be a big difference between a NOS clutch and one made currently? In my case it is for a 1952 three speed with overdrive.

Is there a preferred place to buy a new clutch?

Also, does anyone have any knowledge about the clutch throw out return spring froms? Mine are missing and I figure you guys have probably ordered some McMaster or something.

Thanks,
Lynn

Posted on: 2013/11/25 15:56
 Top  Print   

Re: Clutch, NOS or modern
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Hi Lynn:

New clutches will be a disappointment so don't buy them.

Send your parts to Fort Wayne Brake and Clutch for rebuilding. Another outfit is Custom Clutch in Cleveland.

The return spring is just an anti-rattle device and a good hardware store will have spring assortments. While you have the unit apart you can measure the wire diameter and reckon the length (1 1/2 inches?) when the unit is together. You can cut a spring to length and install with pliers.

Hope this helps

Posted on: 2013/11/25 16:55
 Top  Print   

Re: Clutch, NOS or modern
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

eightinline
See User information
Thanks Tim,
I will definetly send mine there and thanks for the spring ino. Knowing it is just an anti-rattle spring should make that an eBay search.

Lynn

Posted on: 2013/11/27 9:47
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved