Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
156 user(s) are online (96 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 153

JWL, Jack Vines, Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

20-21st Clipper style door handles
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Has anyone taken these handles apart? Now that my window frames are chromed, the handles look pathetic in comparison and need to be done;

The handle and mounting piece assy appear to be retained by a sort of convex ring which is somehow gripping the square shaft. Under that mounting piece is what appears to be a pin -- except there is no hole for it to enter or exit the handle even if it is able to be removed. Not sure how they got it in but assume it is holding the shaft to handle???

This is a junk handle so I'm willing to experiment some but before going all brute force, thought I'd ask if someone has been there done that before with a proven method of disassembly.

Attach file:

jpg  (22.71 KB)
209_52d1b3e5b9e6e.jpg 640X344 px

jpg  (32.77 KB)
209_52d1b3f39c05c.jpg 640X515 px

Posted on: 2014/1/11 16:22
Howard
 Top  Print   

Re: 20-21st Clipper style door handles
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Since no ready made solutions on disassembly were forthcoming, I went ahead and made the mistakes. After some experimenting and mistakes on an old handle, here is the procedure done on a good one to be rechromed.

The pin inside the handle cavity is the retainer. It is a relatively soft pin and can be bent up to clear the handle edge.

GENTLY bend the pin up just enough to clear the edge and to get a vise grip on it. Don't know how much bend it will take so don't overdo and break it. While pulling pin and rotating the vise grips at the same time, the pin will come loose. Does take a bit of pull though.

Once the pin is out, use a block of wood and tap the handle off the shaft. The experimental handle was tight and took alternating blows on each side of the shaft but the second handle came out with tapping just the one squarish larger side shown.

The small mounting piece with screw holes and maybe shaft looks to be different for each handle so it appears to be a good idea to carefully identify each piece as to which handle/door so they can be reassembled properly.

When reassembling, the shaft and hole location will be critical. The chroming process will probably change the size of the square hole in the handle so take care they are lined up before reinserting the pin. It will probably be a looser fit in the hole but bending the pin back down so it's below the handle edge and can't come out will probably be sufficient.

Attach file:

jpg  (29.88 KB)
209_52d43b61039ab.jpg 640X417 px

jpg  (25.48 KB)
209_52d43b74c1454.jpg 640X291 px

jpg  (22.23 KB)
209_52d43b8024a72.jpg 640X433 px

jpg  (19.99 KB)
209_52d43b8ce8d43.jpg 640X341 px

Posted on: 2014/1/13 14:17
Howard
 Top  Print   

Re: 20-21st Clipper style door handles
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Thanks for the explanation. Any sections that you don't want plated (like the hole), just ask your plater to fill or wrap them with plater's putty or tape before electroplating.

Posted on: 2014/1/13 14:33
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved