Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
102 user(s) are online (66 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 100

BigKev, Ross, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

55-56 brakes
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
I have mounted original asbestos lining on my front shoes for both the 400 and Caribbean. I had purchased new rear brakes from Kanter, but they generated so much brake dust they were ruining my wire wheels. I reverted to old worn shoes on the 400, but knew they wouldn't last long.
I saw a pair of rear shoes on ebay that were listed as 61 Ford clear through 92 Dodge pickup. They looked just like my original Packard shoes, having the triple width steel at the anchor pin ends of the shoes. I bought them and they are identical to the Packard 12" X 2" shoes except the web is a little thicker. My adjusters would not fit, the gap being slightly smaller. I went to Napa and ordered the adjusters for a 61 Dodge pickup. They fit nicely - NAPA part no. 80562.
I'll let you know they mount.

Attach file:

jpg  (120.22 KB)
23_5316510348cb8.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (44.98 KB)
23_5316511437e2d.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2014/3/4 17:18
 Top  Print   

Re: 55-56 brakes
Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Randy: sweet! Be sure to put this in the Xref if you haven't already.

Craig

Posted on: 2014/3/4 17:40
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
I'll wait till I mount them just to be certain.
These are NOS Bendix R33 with EDF Lining Riveted Truck Brake Shoes Dodge Ford GMC IHC Jeep
1981 Dodge D250 Base Cab & Chassis 2-Door
1978 Dodge D300 Base Cab & Chassis 2-Door
1975 Ford P-350 Front
1974 Ford F-250 Pickup Front

Napa carried them, but it looked like the same dirty lining I was trying to get rid of.

Posted on: 2014/3/4 18:26
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Randy (and others); as I mentioned to you on the phone the other night, maybe 20 years ago I fitted Ford/Dodge truck brake shoes to the rear of my 48 Custom 8. Again they were an exact match except for the width of the web were the adjuster mounted. Instead of getting corresponding adjusters I just milled down the web thickness a little until the stock adjuster fit.

Interchange among brake shoes with just minor differences like this are extensive!

Posted on: 2014/3/4 18:54
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Thanks for chiming in Dave. Packard Sr. brakes are a little heavier than Chebbies or Fords or Clippers. Clipper brake shoes seem plentiful. Senior cars not so much. I'm going to the basement now and wrestle for a while. Have to mount the oil pump and pan tomorrow.

Posted on: 2014/3/4 20:19
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved