Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
261 user(s) are online (157 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 5
Guests: 256

Don B, 37Blanche, 52 Mayfair, TxGoat, packardsix1939, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Choice of oil
Just popping in
Just popping in

A.B.
See User information
I have a 1951 288ci with 82,00 miles on it. It's a new car to me. The engine runs smooth and seems good and tight. Any suggestions on the type of motor oil to use?

Thanks.

A.B.

Posted on: 2014/3/14 9:14
 Top  Print   

Re: Choice of oil
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
If you drop the oil pan and clean it, I'd recommend a detergent oil. If you haven't, then I'd use non-detergent until you have the opportunity to do so. And when the pan is down, don't forget to clean the oil pump intake screen.

As to viscosity you can't go wrong using what Packard originally recommended for the temperatures your car will experience, though after the pan is clean you could avail yourself of multi-vis oils. Many of us have a preference for Shell Rotella T SAE15-40 but you'll find about as many opinions on oil as you'll find brands and types of oil.

Posted on: 2014/3/14 9:16
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

A.B.
See User information
Thank you very much for taking the time to respond. Sounds like a great recommendation.

A.B.

Posted on: 2014/3/14 14:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
Dave's recommendation for the 15W40 is fine for a recently rebuilt engine, however if the engine has done over 50,000 miles, the bearing clearances are probably out a bit. I would go for a quality brand name 20W60 to reduce the quantity of oil thrown up at the pistons and rings. I would also go for a 20W 60 if you are running at higher speeds (65 mph) in hot weather (100 F). PT

Posted on: 2014/3/14 16:48
I like people, Packards and old motorbikes
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
83,000 for me and the compression still meets specs.

+1 for the Rotella 15-40. I add a bottle of ZDP and the Rotella I use isn't synthetic...

Many get it at Sams club....

Posted on: 2014/3/14 16:57
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig the Clipper Man
See User information
These older engines need a good shot of zinc for optimal performance. I switched to Joe Gibbs Racing Oil (you can find it online). My Clipper seems to love it and the car is running like a dream. It is used in NASCAR cars and provides fantastic lubrication. It is not cheap; but it is no more than synthetic oils like Mobil One.

Posted on: 2014/3/14 16:58
You can make a lot of really neat things from the parts left over after you rebuild your engine ...
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
ZDDP is most essential for flat tappet engines with a high loading on the cam/tappet interface and no Packard engines within factory spec fall in that category. That said, might help and can't hurt applies.

Pat Green, there is a limit above which ZDDP becomes harmful to your engine, so adding it to oil that already contains it is something to be cautious about. Shell Rotella T already contains a pretty good amount of ZDDP, though less than the earlier CI-4 formula contained. The decrease from CI-4 to the current CJ-4 was from about 1380 ppm to about 1000 ppm. So I'd really be leery of adding more unless I knew how to determine a safe dose. Remember, with proper maintenance Packard engines ran to 100,000 miles or so long before ZDDP was ever introduced into motor oil (its use was an outgrowth of WWII).

Just as added info, here are some Zinc levels in other grades of motor oil, courtesy of Castrol.

SE-SJ - 1280 ppm
SL - 1180 ppm
SM - 940 ppm

Posted on: 2014/3/14 17:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

RichieFuller
See User information
Owen, that is good info, I have made a note of it. I have used Rotella-T in all my Hudsons since 2006 and have not had any problems. Your info is good to know. Thanks, Richie.

Posted on: 2014/3/15 19:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

todd landis
See User information
Have been using Valvoline Racing oil, with a small amount of Marvel Mystery Oil every so often. Any need for other additives? Not sure if the Valvoline has any anything good or bad. Any enlightenment much appreciated.

Posted on: 2014/3/15 20:09
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
Here is a link to specific amounts of chemical added when a bottle of ZDDP is added to 4,5 or 6 quarts of oil.

I hope Own will check it out and tell us how this relates to Rotella.....

http://zddplus.labecon.com/TechBrief7%20-%20Oil%20Additive%20Dosing%20and%20Dilution%20rev4.pdf

And here are specs for Rotella 15-40, but dated 2011....

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2330040#Post2330040

Posted on: 2014/3/15 20:55
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved