Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
135 user(s) are online (72 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 135

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

oil pan gasket
Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
I want to drop the pan on my 39 120 and clean everything up. Has anyone had experience with using ATV sealant instead of the cork version?

If I should stay with the cork, any suggestions as to where to buy just the oil pan gasket?

Thanks

Posted on: 2014/5/12 16:10
 Top  Print   

Re: oil pan gasket
Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
I dropped mine on my 36 120, and I used the cork version from max Merritt. I think its $20 so I wasn't going to mess around with something else.
I put the front-end of my car on a set of steel lawnmower ramps, that gave me a lot of room to crawl under and work on it. On the 36 you have to drop the steer linkage, so I assume that its the same on a 39.

Posted on: 2014/5/12 17:01
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Arthur C, 1602-1191
See User information
Hi,
My 1938 120 has used sealant for decades, though I prefer to also use a cork gasket. To remove sump try turning steering towards full lock, it is a fiddle but works with mine.
If doing a full oil change/clean-out consider 'Caltex Delo 400' oil for mixed diesel/petrol fleets. For decades on mine the exhaust valves tended to stick open, this with Delo 400 is now very rarely the case. Also see DrewLA in yesterday's forum on oils.
Happy motoring.

Posted on: 2014/5/12 17:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
David, recommend using a cork gasket. Adhere the gasket to the pan and lightly rub a coat of grease the on the side facing the block. This will serve two purposes: 1) allow the gasket to slide on the block when installing the pan; and 2) will allow the gasket to stay on the pan when next the pan is removed, permitting easier removal. Only a small amount of adhesive is needed to cement the gasket to the pan. The problem with too much sealant is that it squeezes out and can get into the internals of the engine. This method is also recommended by O_D.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2014/5/14 22:17
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved