Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
212 user(s) are online (122 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 211

Chuck McDonald, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1953 packard rear bumper stone shield
Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob
See User information
Is there a pic of the rubber that goes on the rear bumper stone shield. I know the front bumper shield takes 6 rubber pieces. My back bumper stone shield has the holes, but I can't find what goes on the rear bumper stone shield.

Posted on: 2014/6/1 11:49
1953 Patrician
 Top  Print   

Re: 1953 packard rear bumper stone shield
Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
When I did the repaint on my 51 200, I took a long piece of rubber vacuum line hose and made a longwise cut on it. I then attached it to the back side of the gravel shield, and fit the bumper on. You can't see the edge where it meets the bumper and works well. Price, less than $5.

Posted on: 2014/6/1 18:56
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
No idea if 53 is the same shape as V8's but the 55-6 shield has a turned down lip of about 1/4" on the rear side. If the rubber is what they are calling the seal to bumper, then parts manual says 53's and the senior V8's used two in the rear.

Packards V8 rubber item was a flat strip attached to the top surface and extending past the lip toward the bumper. It had some kind of stranded reinforcement material molded or mixed in. Couldn't find the exact match when I did my 56 so I used all rubber glass setting tape. Dimensions were 1 1/2" wide x 3/32" thick & is available from Restoration specialties. I positioned it so it overhung the rear of the stone shield about 5/8". Worked nicely but as David said, it is not seen from the top and doubt many are going to go under and see what you use so there are lots of options.

Posted on: 2014/6/1 20:42
Howard
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Steele makes a reproduction, but I used this (which Ross recommended). The original one was stapled to the panel, I just used some 3M weather strip advesive as I was not going to "staple" fresh expensive base-clear paint. Once the bumper is in place, this is not visible at all.

http://stores.restorationspecialties.com/93312-ws-sold-by-the-foot/

I think you need about 6 feet of it.

Posted on: 2014/6/2 13:31
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved