Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
227 user(s) are online (141 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 226

Jack Vines, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Brake Shoe Size
Home away from home
Home away from home

steve828
See User information
I'm about to do a brake overhaul on my 1954 Packard Clipper Super two-door club sedan L-8, 327ci, 165hp. Would some experienced individual kindly advise me what size brake shoes to purchase? Are the front and rear the same size? What is the best brand?

Thanks again.

Posted on: 2014/6/18 11:05
 Top  Print   

Re: Brake Shoe Size
Home away from home
Home away from home

Gerard O'Keefe
See User information
Not something you can buy at your local auto parts store.Kanter has them. Give them a call.

Posted on: 2014/6/18 12:38
 Top  Print   

Re: Brake Shoe Size
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Lining dimensions for chassis 5411 (11 inch brakes):

Primary shoes:

Front 2-1/2 x 3/16 x 9-5/16
Rear 2 x 3/16 x 9-5/16

Secondary shoes:

Front 2-1/2 x 3/16 x 12
Rear 2 x 3/16 x 12

You might be able to find these shoes in Raybestos or Wagner as they interchange with some older trucks. I'd match them up carefully but some numbers you might try are Wagner 161 or Raybestos 228PG for the rears, and Raybestos 264PG for the front. But in the end, it might just be easier to just order the shoes from Kanter. And it's likely, unlike the original linings, that the primary and secondary linings will be the same material. For best results, after installation, don't forget to do the "major" adjustment of the eccentric pins and, if the drums are cut or have been previously, have the linings arc-ground to match the drum diameter.

Posted on: 2014/6/18 14:26
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved