Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
169 user(s) are online (97 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 169

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

53 Caribbean Windshield
Home away from home
Home away from home

Richter12x2
See User information
Pricing replacement windshields, and they come in clear, tinted, and shaded

Anyone have any ideas which one is correct for '53? or does it just come down to preference, since windshields are a thing that gets replaced?

Posted on: 2014/7/1 10:10
 Top  Print   

Re: 53 Caribbean Windshield
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Could be wrong, but think what you want depends on side window type. If you have the heat absorption tinted side windows (Solex) I think the WS was also tinted so that kind of determines part of it. The shaded I believe is what they called the light filter and is just a narrow 2 or 3" strip of a darker shade across the top of WS. I think that was optional without needing the tinted side windows.

Posted on: 2014/7/1 10:41
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Richter12x2
See User information
Awesome, thanks for the info! I have the side windows upstairs so I can take a look, but I'm pretty sure they're clear, so I'd probably want a clear windscreen as well (with or without the shading) I guess.

Posted on: 2014/7/7 11:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
Side glass has little relationship to whether someone ordered a tinted windshield-which is something people used to do. But anyone steeped in the car biz from a factory and engineering perspective would tell you that clear glass keeps the vehicle interior far hotter (greenhouse effect is the term).

Tinted glass looks better, but it also traps less of the sun's rays and therefore is actually cooler. Which is why in today's cars you are more likely to find tinted glass-especially with factory air conditioning installed.

As for 1953, a Packard salesman's data book should tell you order options. But even these are not hard and fast rules. I no longer have one handy, but there should be one in someone's hands if not on this site.

Just remember that Caribbeans were very special automobiles. And yes, they did have shaded, tinted windshields-at least by 1954. I have photos of these cars on the assembly line and they show shaded, tinted windshields coming down the line. I'm talking actual production cars here.

Cars intended for auto shows were normally equipped with clear glass-or at least clear windshields...solely for ease of viewing inside from outside in a show environment. But even some of these vehicles ended up with their windshields replaced with tinted glass later.

Posted on: 2014/7/7 18:28
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved