Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
171 user(s) are online (120 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 168

William Grosz, Mike Chirco, Todd W. White, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Heater thermostat.
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
In conjunction with another post I was looking thru the 41 dealer accessories list and saw an accessory item labeled Thermostat, heater 110-120 and Thermostat, heater 160-180. Both were less than $2.00 but what were they? Something that was different and installed in place of the regular engine thermostat or something that was only controlling the temp of the heater core similar to the thermostatic valve intro'd in 22nd series.

Posted on: 2014/7/5 13:23
Howard
 Top  Print   

Re: Heater thermostat.
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Howard, might they have been the higher temperature thermostats to take advantage of the then new permanent type anti-freeze and pressurized systems? Prior to the permanent type, an alcohol type anti-freeze solution was used. Its boiling point was relatively low and thermostats in the 140F range were commonly used. Also, non-pressurized systems were common until the late 1930s.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2014/7/5 21:43
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
John, at the price I kind of had a feeling that it might be higher temp thermostats. Just struck me odd they would call them out as an accessory rather than just an ordinary service item. I guess if you bought a heater and wanted it to work well you bought a higher heat thermostat to go with it.

Posted on: 2014/7/6 12:29
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Howard, I think you have it figured out. Before high temp thermostats there were other offerings to try and get good heat into the passenger compartment. Gas heaters were an accessory add-on, and some vehicles were fitted with hot air heaters, taking hot air from around the exhaust manifold and circulating it into the compartment.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2014/7/6 16:24
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved