Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
232 user(s) are online (129 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 231

TxGoat, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 »

Seeking opinions on 1937 Packard 120 coupe
Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Meadows
See User information
http://www.autotraderclassics.com/classic-car/1937-Packard-120-1566267.xhtml?conversationId=765471

Above is a link to a 1937 Packard 120 coupe currently listed on Auto Trader for $21,000.

I'd appreciate feedback on price/condition.

I'm not keen on the dark brown body color.

Kind regards
Garrett Meadows

Posted on: 2014/7/10 14:30
 Top  Print   

Re: Seeking opinions on 1937 Packard 120 coupe
Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
correct wheels are included
very pretty style
believe it is missing the lower stainless strip along bottom edge of fender and running board

Posted on: 2014/7/10 15:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information

Posted on: 2014/7/10 15:48
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
Ditto above. The coupe is a desirable model, but it does need painting. I think I see some blistering of the paint behind the drivers door - rust maybe? The steering wheel probably is cracked - the leather cover will cost you judging points. The engine needs to be detailed at least. The wire wheels look nice, and cost about $1500 or so, but are not correct. I would use them if my car had them though. If you use the original wheels, you will probably need new 16 inch tires. The wires are probably 15".

My guess - 21,000 is a bit too high, but if you want a rumble seat coupe, it is probably worth pursuing. Suggest you point out the cost of the paint job - at least $5000, and could run as high as 8,000. (unless you can do it yourself). On the engine, even if it is in perfect running condition, getting it detailed will set you back about $300 or so. I'd ask about the radio - Harold Rushing could give you an estimate for fixing it. Figure $500 each for each bumper rechroming. The running board strips are about $225. A good going over by a Packard mechanic is probably a good idea and could help prevent some unpleasant surprises. Checking with the local Packard club would help.

My gut feel - I would go about 16,000 to 18,000, assuming I had that much money in the bank! If you decide to go for it, suggest you bring $100 bills. It tends to make negotiating easier if the seller sees the money in your hand.

Posted on: 2014/7/10 15:54
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
It is the Sport Coupe model. Rear trunk rack is a nice option. It has all the steps to the rumble seat. They can be hard to find and costly. Interior is not authentic, probably vinyl. Good it has the stock wheels. You can sell the wire wheels and tires and recoup some of the expense needed to get new tires. Overall an attractive looking car, but the devil is in the details. Too bad the engine compartment is so dirty, really takes away from the car. Steering wheels can be repaired and repainted, not cheaply but not too expensively either. Looks to have a stock radio and an after market heater. I think it could be made into a nice looking Packard, but it will take some coin to do so. I agree with David --- $16-18K would be about right as it appears in the photos. Let us know what you find and decide.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2014/7/10 17:06
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

RogerDetroit
See User information
If you do decide to buy the car, then the first thing I would do is remove the aftermarket Southwind heater. Couple of reasons: (1) you live in Reno and (2) unlike most heaters that use hot water from the engine cooling system, the Southwind burns gasoline from a line plumbed into the fuel supply line. Not the safest thing in my opinion.

They do sell on eBay and you should get enough to find an OEM heater - if you think you need one.

Posted on: 2014/7/10 21:20
-

1941 Model 160 Convertible Sedan
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Meadows
See User information
Wow! Thank you and the others immensely for the wealth of info. I appreciate it. First, the obvious need for a paint job was a primary concern. Second, to my untrained eye, I knew the tires/wheels were not correct. Glad that he has the originals. Third, the after-market was troubling, especially since it was pointed it that it uses gas from the fuel line. Yikes! Scary thought of what might happen. Fourth, all the other issues you pointed out in addition to the paint job, engine detailing, etc, could easily tack on additional $10K to the selling price. Merciful heavens. This hobby is not for the financially faint of heart.

Again, thank you for the info. I appreciate you looking at the car.
kind regards
Garrett Meadows

Posted on: 2014/7/10 22:07
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Meadows
See User information
Good lord! Scary just thinking about the potential serious safety issues with the heater. I'm so glad to have found this place. A novice like me could really get suckered into both costly and physically dangerous mistakes.

I appreciate your input.
kind regards
Garrett Meadows

Posted on: 2014/7/10 22:09
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Meadows
See User information
Yes, the rumble seat/trunk, plus being a 120 coupe model are what initially attracted me to the car--in addition to the price. Based on your input and that of the other Packard pro's, it would take, conservatively, $10K to get the car looking presentable and reliably functional. To be honest and not overly dramatic, but that after-market heater is pretty scary, considering it is interfaced with the fuel line. Good lord! One can only imagine what might happen.

Thank you for taking the time to give me your valuable input. I appreciate it.
kind regards
Garrett Meadows

Posted on: 2014/7/10 22:14
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
Well you don't have to paint it right away. You can enjoy it for a year or 2 and do the other stuff to it for now. I have an unrestored 36 business coupe and its a blast to drive! The paint is showing its age here and there but you won't believe the amount of thumbs up you get.

Posted on: 2014/7/10 23:29
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved