Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
222 user(s) are online (125 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 221

Mike Chirco, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

49 Custom 8 not going into gear when running
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard0
See User information
The Custom 8 at my next door neighbor's house won't go into gear. It hasn't been driven in about 6-8 weeks. Sometimes it will go into gear when not running but when it's running it won't go into 1st or reverse gear. It just grinds and we don't won't to force it and tear up something. Any advice please? We did shoot PB blaster into the little hole on the gear column. But, like I said sometimes it will go into gear while not running but not when running.

Posted on: 2014/7/12 12:35
 Top  Print   

Re: 49 Custom 8 not going into gear when running
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If it's only first and reverse, I'd look at linkage but if also 2 and 3 then I would look and see if the clutch is fully releasing or perhaps the clutch plate has stuck or is sticking to the flywheel or input shaft. I had that happen once after a car sat for a few weeks and it took a bit of effort to free the plate.

Posted on: 2014/7/12 12:43
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard0
See User information
Yes, it won't go into 3rd or 4th. How do we get the clutch plate un stuck?

Thanks

Posted on: 2014/7/12 12:54
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
One way is to disconnect the high tension so car won't accidentally start then use the starter motor. Not the best for the starter but if done carefully it usually can be done. That is assuming the pedal is adjusted properly, nothing is broken and the linkage is moving full range so pressure plate is fully retracted.

Have a safe area where the car can move then put the car in first or reverse gear so it will be trying to move into that area. Depress the clutch and then hit the starter. If the plate is stuck, the car will try to move. It may take more than one try but generally unless the plate is absolutely glued to something, by having pedal down and clutch released a bump or two of the starter and the clutch will break free because of all the load as the car tries to move. If the car does not try to move at the first attempt then plate is free and something else is causing the problem.

If it is stuck and that starter method doesn't free it then it may come down to having to disassemble.

Posted on: 2014/7/12 13:08
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard0
See User information
We put it into gear and then pushed the car back and forth, apparently that broke it losse because it works fine now.

Posted on: 2014/7/12 14:06
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If you have the manpower that is the safest way and fortunately that one had not got to the point of no return. Thing is to prevent it from happening again and don't think there is any magic snake oil preventative. The conditions of humidity and composition of the clutch facing is likely to do it again unless the car is driven a bit more to keep the mating faces clean, dry and polished. Even doing that isn't a given cure if moisture condenses on the flywheel.

Posted on: 2014/7/12 14:29
Howard
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved