Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
208 user(s) are online (98 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 207

TxGoat, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

37 Packard Front Clip Alignment Issues
Home away from home
Home away from home

CORSASEVEN
See User information
I now have my front clip back on my 37 but I'm having alignment problems. I marked the radiator support rods so the nuts would go back on at the same position as they previously were before I removed the clip. Not sure what is going on, I did attempt to adjust the rods anyway but no luck. I have attached photos of the gaps. I do have a difference of 3/4 of an inch from the left and right bottoms of the fenders, the passenger fender from the floor to the bottom of the fender measures 17 1/2 inches and the drivers fender measures 18 1/4 inches. My thoughts are that I need to add a 3/4 inch rubber shim to the passenger side of the clip but do not think it will help with the hood alignment.Please excuse the dust,I have been working on this car for awhile. I will greatly appreciate any advice on what might be causing the misalignment.

Attach file:

jpg  (52.78 KB)
58975_547fa3ecd9c5d.jpg 525X700 px

jpg  (52.33 KB)
58975_547fa4054f295.jpg 700X525 px

Posted on: 2014/12/3 19:00
 Top  Print   

Re: 37 Packard Front Clip Alignment Issues
Home away from home
Home away from home

39SixSedanMan
See User information
Looks like you have two issues. The top photo may indicate a sprung hood. This appears to be common among our Packards; when the hood is propped open, its weight will work to bend the sheet metal along the line that forms the familiar Packard Ox yoke radiator shape. The results are much worse if someone aggressively throws the hood open to rest on the opposite hood side.

My 39 was the same way and the fix was to gently work the bend in the original direction. To do so, I placed wood 2x4 cut to correct length from radiator support to cowl to support the feature and repeatedly pressed the outer hood down to undo the bend.

For the second photo, keeping the rod nuts at the same location is not enough. If all the clip bolts were loosened, then it may be that the top of the radiator surround has moved to the passenger side. To check, stand about 5-10 ft in front of the car and see if the hood ornament, front windshield divider post and rear window divider all line up.

If not, loosen whatever clip bolts you must, such as those connecting the radiator surround to the fenders. Then, push the surround to the driver side, making sure the rod adjustment nuts will let you. Do this until the ornament and dividers line up. Once this is the case, the rod nuts can be brought up to uniformly adjust the gap of the hood to the surround.

Finally, if the gaps on the side of the hood at the cowl and again at the surround are not uniform, then the surround is at the incorrect height and may need to be raised or lowered with washers or rubber mounts.

Once I went through all of this on my 39, it came out very well, but not perfect. I hope this helps.

By the way, great color. I say that since my appears to be exact same.
Pat

Posted on: 2014/12/5 15:40
 Top  Print   

Re: 37 Packard Front Clip Alignment Issues
Home away from home
Home away from home

CORSASEVEN
See User information
Thank you very much Pat for taking the time to help me with my problem. I only separated the clip from the cowl and running boards, I left the clip fenders and radiator surround bolted in place. I think if I loosen the cowl and running board bolts and loosen the radiator bolt hopefully I can make some adjustments. This is what a fellow Packard friend advised. What do you think ??

Posted on: 2014/12/5 16:00
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved