Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
137 user(s) are online (78 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 137

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Wideband O2 sensor for tuning?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tobs
See User information
Hi guys,
I am considering getting a wide band 02 sensor for tuning and proper jetting primarily for my 'other car' 4cyl boxer with 2 2bbl carbs, but am trying to justify my purchase by saying I could also use it on the packard to check my carb settings.....(53 clipper with 327 and 2bbl)
Anybody have experience with a wideband 02 sensor with a straight 8?
I am wondering if the large difference between middle and end cyls might make the 02 sensor confusing, or not really a good tuning tool.
Cheers, Mike

Posted on: 2014/12/10 11:09
1953 Clipper Delux Club Sedan, 1969 912, 1990 Miata, 2009 Ford S-Max.
 Top  Print   

Re: Wideband O2 sensor for tuning?
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Decades ago, Sun Equipment Co. had an exhaust gas analyzer as part of their testing instruments offering. It was used for checking the gas-air mixture of engines. Especially useful for checking the mixture burn after a carburetor had been re-jetted or modified carburetors installed. It was common practice to re-jet carburetors to allow less gas and more air in the mixture in the high altitude (7,000 ft. above sea level) of Santa Fe. A probe was inserted in the exhaust pipe to pick up gases for analysis and read-out by the instrument. Are you thinking about something like this?

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2014/12/10 12:45
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Re: Wideband O2 sensor for tuning?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tobs
See User information
Hi JW,
Yes I am thinking about something like that SUN tester. A wideband oxygen sensor has an 02 sensor that you can either mount into the down pipe, or use as a tail pipe probe. It then reads/displays/records the air fuel ratio and -depending on the product, things like engine RPM. This way, you can plot your AF ratio over load and rpm....This is the tool I am considering, and it will be a while before I get to use it on the packard, but the porsche may see it later this winter. (Those carbs are getting rebuilt now with new throttle plates and throttle shaft bushings)

I think it might be a little over scientific for the packard engine, but more data is usefull to a point.
InnovateMotorsport LM2

The OBD2 capabilities can't be used on the packard, but a code scanner would be usefull for my daily driver.

It is a pretty expensive tool for a hobby mechanic, but for the air cooled/modified engine it is pretty important to not run too lean under load and burn up.
-Sool I'll have my packard on the dyno doing horsepower tests, LOL!

Posted on: 2014/12/11 2:36
1953 Clipper Delux Club Sedan, 1969 912, 1990 Miata, 2009 Ford S-Max.
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved